Michele

Euthanasia/Suicide

Ok. Understand your problem. I was not asking for your help, you know. but if you need proper punctuation to understand me, i will do my best.

question was euthanasia / suicide, which are so different. euthanasia anyhow is not what you expressed, thats all.

i don't care a straw for it if you need punctuation to understand me. my English is good enough to be understood by everybody. If you do not like let's go on in French. what about German? My 3rd language.I do not use to type books every day so writing on a PC is not my daily job. So i apologize for typing errors.

I do hope you understand me even my wording isn't perfect. If I look around reading natural born US citizens wording: funny sometimes, really.

Seb

Seb, calling someone a shit is pretty much against the rules.

There's a phrase we use here, and it goes something like: play the ball, not the player.

I'd be interested in hearing your perspective, rather than slamming Chris for his. Can you elaborate?

Chris, you know my history. I am on intimate terms with suicide, and what happens with the human mind when the depths of depression is reached.

The difference between euthanasia and suicide to me speaks more to the mindset of the person doing the dying - while both are a relief, it's a death to avoid more suffering (on both parts) but one is a medical illness which is not accepted nor well understood, and takes some intenstive treatment to begin to recover; the other has no hope of recovery, irrespective of length of treatment or difficulty of treatment.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

The difference between euthanasia and suicide to me speaks more to the mindset of the person doing the dying - while both are a relief, it's a death to avoid more suffering (on both parts) but one is a medical illness which is not accepted nor well understood, and takes some intenstive treatment to begin to recover; the other has no hope of recovery, irrespective of length of treatment or difficulty of treatment.

I agree with this statement. In both cases, I believe the person in question is in excrutiating pain whether it be physical or emotional. There's some belief that the emotional pain is generally worse than the physical. I will not judge anyone that is facing either of these situations. My only hope is that they get relief. I can't in good conscience condone either euthanasia or suicide. But like I said, I can't in good conscience place judgement on the person facing this.

I think everyone has the right to live, and everyone has the right to choose to die. Criminalizing suicide, or assisting a right-minded person in committing suicide, is a mistake, and in the end accomplishes nothing but harming human dignity and self-determination.

------------------------------------------------------------
Peacefuljeffery, In Oregon it is only the right minded people who are allowed to commit suicide, with the assitance of a doctor. About 40 so far, I would disagree with your statement , Nothing could be further from the truth. The people who have ended their lives have all been pretty well squarded away, or they wouldn't have been helped.

blues skies

jerry

Seb,

I must apologize to you in regard to my comments about your grammar. I did not look at your profile, so I did not realize you were not an american. With that realization, I am impressed with how well you did use the English language.

However, the personal attack was uncalled for and against the forum rules. But as far as I'm concerned, we're cool.B|

Stay safe bro,

Euthanasia to me is when a person can live unassisted by medical science, but is suffering and wants someone to end their life for them. It's generally a person who is terminally ill and chooses to not go through the excrutiating pain. I'm referring to a coherent person. As for an incoherent person, I don't see how that cannot be seen as murder.

What you are calling "euthanasia," I think is just "assisted suicide."

Okay, you finally did it, you finally made go and get my dictionary out...

euthanasia - the act or practice of killing individuals (as persons or domestic animals) that are hopelessly sick or injured for reasons of mercy.

That should end the confusion.
People do not perform "euthanasia" on themselves.

If you do it yourself, or solicit someone to kill you, that is still suicide. Period. There is no gray area, according to the dictionary definition of "euthanasia." (Note: there was NO MORE to the definition, i.e. I did not leave out a different meaning that was also listed.)

In regard to the woman in Florida, yes she is severely brain damaged, but I don't consider her dead. What puzzles me about that case is the husband has a girlfriend and is free to divorce his wife. It's my understanding that her parents are fully willing to take over the complete care of her. So what's his motive? Is there a life insurance policy involved?

I don't know if there is life insurance involved or not. However, I fail to see how him having a girlfriend necessarily indicates to you that he no longer loves his wife and wants what is best for her, or what she wanted for herself. You are oversimplifying the circumstances and making it seem as though the guy wants to let the wife die just so he doesn't have to care for her! How do you know that? How do you know he doesn't believe she is suffering in an unimprovably poor condition of life and wants to let her have peace sooner rather than later?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I think everyone has the right to live, and everyone has the right to choose to die. Criminalizing suicide, or assisting a right-minded person in committing suicide, is a mistake, and in the end accomplishes nothing but harming human dignity and self-determination.

------------------------------------------------------------
Peacefuljeffery, In Oregon it is only the right minded people who are allowed to commit suicide, with the assitance of a doctor. About 40 so far, I would disagree with your statement , Nothing could be further from the truth. The people who have ended their lives have all been pretty well squarded away, or they wouldn't have been helped.

blues skies

jerry

What is it you disagree with? I said that I think it is a mistake to criminalize suicide and assisting suicide. You said that the 40 or so people in Oregon did it and were squared away. How does that disagree with my points?

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"