Gravitymaster

New Tax?

> I didn't see anything in that article that said they couldn't or wouldn't
>factor in the type of vehicle when assessing the tax.

Agreed, but it's just plain harder to accurately count road miles vs taxing a gallon of gas.

>Two gallons of gas might take me 80 miles on my bike, but I guarantee
> I'm doing less damage to the road than a hybrid gettting the same
> mileage.

How much does your bike weigh?

> 500 lbs.

Hmm. You're _probably_ right. Your loading is roughly half per wheel than mine, but the pressure you exert on the road is likely higher than mine (smaller footprint on the narrower tire.) But wheel loading is probably more important than pressure.

You really get only 40mpg on a motorcycle?

OK, around here (Chicago) we have the Tri-State Tollway, the Reagan Tollway, the North-South Tollway, the Northwest Tollway, the Chicago Skyway (Toll), and the Indiana Tollroad. Am I paying a tax or a use fee when I use these roads? How is paying to drive on these any different from paying Red Ken's congestion "tax"?

Yup, tolls are usually taxes, though not always. Some are very pernicious, for example the Golden Gate bridge, that's a doozie, like having a local government troll they decided to just give OUR bridge to, living right under it.

Most toll roads have alternatives that are less convenient but free (or at least paid for by your other taxes already), that's a significant difference.

You really get only 40mpg on a motorcycle?

Well, it's a Harley Sportster 1200, with aftermarket pipes and air intake (more power, less mileage). It's rated at 52mpg stock. The main tank is 2.7 gal. and I get to about 110 miles before having to switch to auxhilary. But I don't fill it to the brim, either.

"Yep, my Fat Boy only averages about 32 mpg. 1450cc with Screamin Eagle exhaust and intake."

I'm jealous.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson