DHemer

Having my cake and eating it - Container sizing

So at our nationals this past weekend I won 50% off a new container.

I wasn't really in the market to buy a new one as my current container is like an old friend and has served me well for 350+ jumps. That said who doesn't like new toys when they suddenly become more affordable.

My current main is a 140 pilot which I won't be changing for a while as the rig is for WS and FS. I also have a cypress 2 I would want to move to the new rig.

I am leaning towards a 150 size reserve (~1.25WL). I am not comfortable with a higher WL if I am not conscious during landing (e.g. cypress fire after a knock to the head). I suspect this is going to result in much name calling around the bonfire about me resembling a cat.

Looking at the manufacturer's chart a 150 reserve will fit in a 135 container but it's going to be a tight fit for the main and reserve and I am thinking that chart does not account for the reduction in space due to the AAD.

So then I started looking at low bulk reserves. Except I am not sure how much I can trust volume comparisons between manufacturers.

Parachute systems decelerator 150 : 350 cu.in

Aerodyne Smart 150 : 346 cu.in
Aerodyne Smart LPV 150 : 335 cu.in

PD Optimum 160: ? (didn't see it on their website)

Basically I have the following questions:

1) rough idea on the pack volume an AAD
2) Do low bulk reserves really pack a size smaller and is that enough to reduce a tight fit to a regular one
3) How do an Optimum and Smart LPV compare size wize
4) Do I really want to go from packing a 140 into a 170 d-bag into a 135 d-bag when I could save the pain and be drinking beer just to look cooler with my small rig

1. You need to tell what the container brand is if you want anything more than just guesswork. They're not all sized the same.
2. You can and should mail the manufacturer and ask about the specific reserves you are considering and the AAD you want to put in. They will most likely know whether it fits. You can also mail the manufacturers of the canopies and ask about the container.
3. If you have a current rig you like and use, you might want to buy a second rig, rather than replace it. I know it doesn't solve the fundamental question here, but it might give you a bit more flexibility in the choice of components at the cost of higher spending.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

Talk to the rigger who will be packing the reserve into your new container, experienced riggers can explain why one size (or model like maybe a short or narrow or both) will fit your canopies and your body best.

As far as packing the main, try it on someone else's rig before you spend money. Id let almost anyone practice something like that at the end of the day/weekend, if they paid a packer to pack my main in it when they were done horsing around. If it were me, I'd also request a beer so I could keep an eye on them while they're working with my rig. It would be easy: disconnect your canopy just like you're doing your monthly 3 ring maintenance,take off your pilot chute, pack it into their dbag and container. Your rigger can help you ID similar dbag sizes. Also, jumps hack has an excellent pack volume chart for almost every canopy.

After tracking down a rigger who has packed a smart 150 lpv it seems it will fit a 135 vortex container

I cannot justify a 2nd full rig at the moment. The cost of a new main, reserve, aad and half a container is outside the budget

The 135 should be a system I use for a long time. Don't see myself going smaller