Kennedy

"American" Jokes

Making fun of someone's screen name is about as useful as making fun of some kid's braces in elementary school.

I have to agree with this. What does his screen name (in particular) cause such a stir? Maybe it's a nickname someone gave him.. Or maybe he just likes the way it sounds... Or maybe Jeffrey has a finely honed sense of irony... ;)

Mine is "Typical Fish" for god's sake. I don't like to consider myself typical, and I am definitely not a fish.
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

I don't like to consider myself typical, and I am definitely not a fish.

WHAT!!!!!! My whole image of you is now blown. Fuckin-A, I'll bet crazyIvan isn't really crazy! And skybytch isn't really a bitch either. No wait....I know for a fact that one's dead on ;)

Dude, i didn´t know you were so sensitive. I apologize if i ever hurt your feelings. I wouldn´t ever forgive myself if i make you cry with one of my posts:P

You seem overly sensitive to personal attacks if and only if you are not who do the attacking. :|

I have not made posts that compare to mrwhatever's crap, cited here.

And to be frank, I don't give a flying fuck what you think of me. If you want to join him and push the envelope of personal attacks, and risk getting banned, go right ahead.

I may get confrontational in my opinionated posts, but I do not engage in the kind of ignorant personal attacks that mrwhatever tried so thinly to veil.

If I made a post that said, "I know I could never make a post about So-and-so polling readers as to whether he is an ignorant shit-brained jerkoff or a moronic dick-nosed asshead or otherwise, so I'll just conjecture here about what some of the responses might have been if I could post such a poll," I'd rightly be called for making an insulting personal attack. Where the fuck does your confusing come from?

-
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

WHAT!!!!!! My whole image of you is now blown. Fuckin-A, I'll bet crazyIvan isn't really crazy! And skybytch isn't really a bitch either. No wait....I know for a fact that one's dead on ;)

And mr2mkxyzblahblah is not really a confused hodgepodge of meaningless syllables?! :P Ya gotta be kidding me!

-
-Jeffrey

Dude, the bear is still killing me... Every time I see it... I am surprised you guys haven't dressed it up yet...
"I gargle no man's balls..." ussfpa on SOCNET

Dude, the bear is still killing me... Every time I see it... I am surprised you guys haven't dressed it up yet...

Technically, the avatar pic is not linked to a 24 hour webcam, so just because it is not dressed up doesn't mean the actual bear is not sitting in the office dressed like Minnie Pearl as we speak. We just need an updated pic.

Kev, can you fit your rig on the bear? :D

-
-Jeffrey

The bear has worn a hat. The bear has had a reversible puppet (one side bear, the other bull) on its paw, and the bear has had pictures of other employees in its mouth. B|

The bear needs to hold a roll of toilet paper and a sign that says, "Which way to the woods?" :D

You should cut off the arms of the bear and keep them in your office, and if anyone gives you trouble and demands them back, tell them they're infringing on your Constitutional right to keep bear arms. :D

Okay, okay, I'll stop!

-
-Jeffrey

Chill out guys, seriously. I apologise to all if any were offended. Specifically to Jeffrey; I apologise. I seriously thought Jeffrey would find some humour in my post, and so too would some of the people who regularly post here.

Perhaps if I explained where I was coming from it would help people understand that I genuinely was not trying to make a personal attack, veiled or otherwise. It really was a joke - not about his screen name, but about the number of people who have raised questions about it in the past.

Dozens of people here have questioned the "peaceful" part of his screen name and I thought he, along with others who have noticed this trend, would find it funny. Jeffrey deals with this same question repeatedly on here, and had just faced the same thing again when someone suggested he should be called “Cheerfuljeffrey”... (which he found funny) so I made a post about it that I thought he would find funny. Ok, Jeffrey has not found if funny. I apologise for that. I thought it would be, and it really was not intended as an attack.

If you don't believe me - here's just a sample of the comments I'm talking about - the posts below are why I thought Jeffrey would find my post funny:

Oh, and the first one's even from a moderator...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1150900#1150900
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=915299;search_string=peaceful%20jeffrey;#915299
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=969036;search_string=peaceful%20jeffrey;#969036
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1087502;search_string=peaceful%20jeffrey;#1087502
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=967581#967581
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=967601;search_string=peaceful%20jeffrey;#967601
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=912724;search_string=peaceful%20jeffrey;#912724
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1076786;search_string=peaceful%20jeffrey;#1076786
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=956317;search_string=peaceful%20jeffrey;#956317
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1165613;search_string=peaceful%20jeffrey;#1165613
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1198349;search_string=peaceful%20jeffrey;#1198349

Peace.

>but I do not engage in the kind of ignorant personal attacks
>that mrwhatever tried so thinly to veil.

You have engaged in them and you have been banned for them. There are several people on this thread (including both you and mr2) who are really pushing the limits again. Cut it out.

>but I do not engage in the kind of ignorant personal attacks
>that mrwhatever tried so thinly to veil.

You have engaged in them and you have been banned for them. There are several people on this thread (including both you and mr2) who are really pushing the limits again. Cut it out.

Cut what out? Did I say anything attack-oriented after you said I was pushing it?

For what it's worth, the thing you banned me for back a few months was saying "Fuck you" to someone who had just finished essentially indicting me as a LIAR, and I was pissed off about it. In particular, she had implied I was a liar after a post in which I explained myself about my meaning from a prior post. In essence, I had been asked "what did you mean by that" and then I posted what I had "meant by that," and was essentially told I was full of shit about my explanation.

I maintain that while "fuck you" might be against the rules, it is hardly equivalent to a continued persecution and hounding of a single target by a given poster. That's what I'm being subject to right here. Mr2slkbi still isn't letting up. He's still at it with the bullshit rationalizations. He did research about posts pertaining to me, for christ's sake. I'm fed up with his either attacks, or attempts to pseudo-apologize for them, as above. An "apology" that continues on to justify is not an apology but a justification. And at this point, I think his continued pursuit of this stupid subject (am I the only one who is supposed to have his fuckin' screen name taken LITERALLY??) does cross the border into harassment and as such is outside the rules.

I'm entreating a FAIR minded moderator (any of them may qualify if they desire) to step in and make good on the warnings that have been given to him. How many "last chances" do you get -- on one specific issue -- before you get banned? I didn't even GET a warning when it happened to me. And TWO WEEKS for a "fuck you"?

-
-Jeffrey

Well PJ at the risk of being banned I will say there seems to be nothing peaceful about you. It seems to be "my way or the highway."

If you could learn to state your responses in PG language you might have a chance but the epithet-laden tirades you generally indulge in undermine your credibility.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

Well PJ at the risk of being banned I will say there seems to be nothing peaceful about you. It seems to be "my way or the highway."

If you could learn to state your responses in PG language you might have a chance but the epithet-laden tirades you generally indulge in undermine your credibility.

I do my best to always keep present in mind the fact that on this forum, I see such a tiny sliver of what people actually are, and who they actually are, that judgments I may feel inclined to make about their character are precariously perched on a very limited knowledge of the people I am judging. How very many times I have seen people respond to comments like this one you made with, "How dare you judge me? You don't know me at all!" There is much validity to those protests.

I can't say whether you'd like me or not in person. I'm not very interested in meeting people who find it so easy to make sweeping character judgments on such flimsy evidence, anyway. If you don't like me, fine. If you think I'm any less peaceful than the average person, fine. If you'd take your name off a load to avoid jumping near me, fine. I don't really care to what extreme you'd take your distaste for me, because it's not my cross to bear. But I have met numerous people from this board in person, and I venture to say that I made a good impression on them and they like me. And I'm not belligerent to them or anyone else when back in "the real world." This place is very different for me. I indulge my frustration with and distaste for some of the more screwball things I see going on in the real world, when they are under discussion here. And yes, I get emphatic, I get boisterous, I get agitated, I get passionate, I get profane. It's an adult-oriented forum and people know to expect that going in. I don't put on a very politically correct or necessarily friendly public face here -- at least, not in Speakers Corner, because I'm plenty friendly where it is appropriate in Bonfire. You might even find posts where I congratulate people on momentous skydives or newborn babies, or offer condolences or "vibes" when sad things happen. I'm not a cold heartless bastard, even though my hard-edged posts could lead you to think so. I certainly drive hard when it comes to gun control v. gun rights, which is my personal pet issue.

Ironically, I don't feel I get any more acerbic, sarcastic or bombastic than PLENTY of other posters here -- I just get picked on for it more because I use "peacefuljeffrey" as a screen name. I've explained about that several times, and I'm not stating it all over again for you here. If you want to know what that's about, do a thread search. And judge me if you want. I don't really care.

-
-Jeffrey

Ok, maybe I am just out of the loop so to speak...but wasn't this thread supposed to be about "American" Jokes and not about posters pissing off posters...?!?:o

That is the reason why I don't post in this forum very much...the threads drift towards hateful dislike for each other and nitpicking to the point of confusion...:|...

Ummm...aren't jokes supposed to be funny?

~R+R:|...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

First off I want to say well put! What can I say, I don't spend a lot of time in the bonfire because I want some discussion, not a love fest.

Agreeing to disagree is a fair way of settling arguments, rarelly practised on the Internet, i.e. in a faceless environment.

Jumping with you and hanging with you are two very different spaces. Even with my low numbers there are already people I know who I would rathera not jump with and others I would rather not hang with.

edited because I screwed up my message

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I am an American and I think there are some very funny American jokes here. Of course that may because I have spent a few years out of the country and realize what asses many Americans can make of themselves.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

First off I want to say well put! What can I say, I don't spend a lot of time in the bonfire because I want some discussion, not a love fest.

Agreeing to disagree is a fair way of settling arguments, rarelly practised on the Internet, i.e. in a faceless environment.

Jumping with you and hanging with you are two very different spaces. Even with my low numbers there are already people I know who I would rathera not jump with and others I would rather not hang with.

edited because I screwed up my message

I want to add that I don't think I have anything against jumping with you. I think skydiving with others is a great way to put differences aside, and I will strive for that to always be so with me.

Blue skies,
-
-Jeffrey

Quick. Punchline contest. Make up your own. Let's see how this goes...

"How many Americans does it take to screw in a lightbulb, and why?"

GO!

Zero. Americans are too FAT to FIT in a lightbulb, so how can they get in there to screw?!

-
-Jeffrey

I am an American and I think there are some very funny American jokes here. Of course that may because I have spent a few years out of the country and realize what asses many Americans can make of themselves.

Ummm, that was my point...but just because I haven't spent time outside of this country does not mean that I don't find them funny too...But I think a lot of European jokes are hilarious...It's all based on stereotypes...so, yes, I find both funny...but I don't limit myself to laughing at Amerian jokes...that is all...

~R+R:|...I'll just stick to the supposed non-discussion Bonfire...where it is a lovefest...::rolls eyes::...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Fly the friendly skies...^_^...})ii({...^_~...

Ummm, that was my point...but just because I haven't spent time outside of this country does not mean that I don't find them funny too...But I think a lot of European jokes are hilarious...It's all based on stereotypes...so, yes, I find both funny...but I don't limit myself to laughing at Amerian jokes...that is all...

Well there you go it isn't just sterotypes, us or "them", it is the truth that makes it funny.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

In America, it seems we very rarely hear American jokes, but we hear plenty of jokes about a host of other nationalities.

I wonder if the situation is the same elsewhere. In Italy, do they hear lots of jokes about other nationalities, but few about Italians? In France, is there a dearth of French jokes? Are jokes about a given nationality typically rare in that country, or is it just that there are not many American jokes going around?

-
-Jeffrey

Yes, while living in England they didn't get Irish jokes but bring on the Polish ones and they laughed liked crazy.

Or maybe it was the other way arond, it was a long time ago.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes