Mirage63

How much do you make? (Kerry's 200K tax increase)

In Kerry's speach he mention that he was going to cut the taxes on the middle class, and raise the taxes on the top 2% of earners making over $200,000 per year.

Sounds good. Stick it to the over paid people, there's less of them (read less votes) and a lot who make a LOT less than that. (more votes)

Problem is, I'm not sure the math works. I don't believe that Kerry can raise the taxes high enough on the top income earners (+200,000) to make up the difference of a large cut to the middle class.

While I don't believe we will ever see a flat tax rate, our tax code is written on the basic belief that if you make more you should pay more - and for the MOST part it works that way.

So my questions for you Kerry supporters do you really think that Kerry can raise the tax rate on the top income earners, high enough to give the middle class a big break?

In Kerry's speach he mention that he was going to cut the taxes on the middle class, and raise the taxes on the top 2% of earners making over $200,000 per year.

Sounds good. Stick it to the over paid people, there's less of them (read less votes) and a lot who make a LOT less than that. (more votes)

Problem is, I'm not sure the math works. I don't believe that Kerry can raise the taxes high enough on the top income earners (+200,000) to make up the difference of a large cut to the middle class.

While I don't believe we will ever see a flat tax rate, our tax code is written on the basic belief that if you make more you should pay more - and for the MOST part it works that way.

So my questions for you Kerry supporters do you really think that Kerry can raise the tax rate on the top income earners, high enough to give the middle class a big break?

Clinton said the same exact thing when running in 1992. Funny thing is that he then raised taxes on everybody making over $36K. Only an uninformed voter could fall for this crap.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

I'm not a Kerry supporter, But I could see it work. . .on paper. 200,000 + income is in the 33% to 35% tax bracket. most middle class is 15 to 25%(2003 tables). the 200,000+ includes millionaires and billionaires. Now a "big break" may not be too big on the lower middle class.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

If I get a tax break like the one I got from Bush -Kerry can do it with a tax increase from just one 200k+ earner. The BIG tax break I got from Bush amounted to about $1 a week. I tell ya, I'm laughin' all the way to the bank :S
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

If I get a tax break like the one I got from Bush -Kerry can do it with a tax increase from just one 200k+ earner. The BIG tax break I got from Bush amounted to about $1 a week. I tell ya, I'm laughin' all the way to the bank :S

Is that before or after you accounted for the increased local and state taxes thanks to his federal tax break? Peronally, I'm getting less per pay check as a result.