bodypilot90

Fortney Stark Rips "G-damned" Soldier

Our San Francisco affiliate, KSFO, sent us a recording of a message that Congressman Fortney "Pete" Stark (D-CA) left on a constituent's answering machine. Staff Sergeant Dan Dowd of the California Army National Guard, and a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and a member of the American Legion, sent Fortney a fax objecting to his vote against a House resolution condemning the prisoner abuse in Iraq while commending soldiers serving with honor.

This audio drew a strong response from a WWII vet, who reminded us of real war atrocities. Staff Sergeant Dowd wrote politely and respectfully, "There are many soldiers, sailors, Marines, airmen and Coast Guardsmen from your 13th congressional district who are serving with pride and distinction." He called Fortney's vote "a disgrace...way out of touch with the people of this district." The fax drove Fortney to call this soldier up and leave this obscenity-laced torrent of insults on his answering machine:

"Dan, this is Congressman 'Pete' [sic—Fortney] Stark, and I just got your fax and you don't know what you're talking about. So if you care about enlisted people you wouldn't have voted for that thing, either. But probably somebody put you up to this, and I'm not sure who it was, but I doubt if you could spell half the words in the letter. Somebody wrote it for you so I don't pay much attention to it, but I'll call you back later and let you tell me more about why you think you're such a great G--damn hero and why you think that this general and the defense department who forced these poor enlisted (bitter laughter) guys to do what they should shouldn't be held to account. That's the issue. So if you want to stick it to a bunch of enlisted guys have your way, but if you want to get to the bottom of people who forced this awful program in...Iraq, then you should understand more about it than you obviously do. Thanks."

Here's the letter:

Pete Stark
House of Representatives
239 Cannon HOB
Washington D.C. 20515

Dear Mr. Stark,

I am appalled that you voted against today's House Resolution 627, Roll Number 150. This measure would have shown publicly that you condemn the abuse of the prisoners in Iraq while simultaneously commend the service of the fine men and women who are serving in Iraq that bring honor to the uniform that they wear and to the Nation that they serve.

There are many Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Airmen and Coastguardmen from your 13th Congressional District who are serving with pride and distinction . These men and women bring great credit upon their hometowns and the State of California.

Your "NO" vote is an indication that you do not support the troops who selflessly serve our nation and in many cases have given the ultimate sacrifice so that you might have the freedom that you enjoy as a citizen of this great Nation. Further, your "NO" vote on this resolution is a disgrace to the people of this district who have elected you.

I urge you to stop your contemptuous display of bitter partisanship and your politicization of this War. Your actions are very divisive and destructive to the morale of our troops and the morale of our nation. I know that a majority of the population of the 13th Congressional District are very strong in their support of our soldiers and in their support of the War in iraq. Your "NO" vote today reflects that you are way out of touch with the people of this district.

Very Sincerely,

Daniel L. Dow

\
You can listen to the voicemail by getting on the KSFO website.

It's a very partisan right wing site. Be forewarned. It's left sister is KGO and I can't listen to either for any length of time.