fundgh

Iraq a religous war??

>Is the Irag conflict a religous war?

No more so than the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a religious war. Many will claim that it is, but it's more over control than anything else. If the Israelis all suddenly converted to Islam it wouldn't change much; same with the American occupation of Iraq.

>Is the Irag conflict a religous war?

No more so than the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a religious war. Many will claim that it is, but it's more over control than anything else. If the Israelis all suddenly converted to Islam it wouldn't change much; same with the American occupation of Iraq.

That would depend on who you ask though too. Ask 20 people within the Palestinian Authority, and you might get a sizable group within that believe in the stated mission of Hamas, which does make it a religious issue, in their eyes.

For members of Al Qaeda, I believe it is more about power, but on the face of it (and how they recruit), they state all sorts of religious beliefs to substantiate their actions and existence.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I am not very current on the facts, issues, etc that put us there (other than the whole WMD, crimes against humanity, UN inspectors, etc), but is there evidence that we have religious motivations in the Mid-east conflict?
...FUN FOR ALL!

Is the Irag conflict a religous war?

To some extent. It's more of a cultural war. Which honestly, is what pretty much any war is about. Even wars for land in ancient times, were cultural wars. If it weren't for cultural differences, the groups would have merged and shared the land. It just so happens that the cultural definitions at the pinnacle of this war are shaped by religious tradition.

Christians don't think so, Muslims do.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

To some extent. It's more of a cultural war. Which honestly, is what pretty much any war is about. Even wars for land in ancient times, were cultural wars.

Interesting point - culture / religion are so closely linked that it must be very difficult to segregate which is the real cause. I agree that most wars appear to be either to preserve a 'way of life' or to force a new 'way of life' onto someone else.

If you compare this war (cynically) to the original crusades then perhaps that was an attempt to force the western way of life on the middle east - in which case this would appear to be a similar type of crusade (with the endgame of a western democracy rather than a religion type).

Of course the original crusades resulted in the cult of Al Sabbah's assassins - an ancient grouping remarkably similar to today's Al Quaeda (or so AQ would like to believe). Fate is inexorable! :)

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.