a_aryanpour

Can I jump again ? please advise .....

Guys,

I am really glad that I feel I am not the only one who is addicted to this sport despite having about 2*0.5 meter metalwork around my spine!! :P

I used to be a skydiver. I had an accident on my last jump (10 years ago) and injured my spine. It was a miracle that I am not paralysed! My L2 partially broken and L3 squeezed as much it could. As the result the surgeon had to put some sort of metalwork around L3. Basically that metalwork which looks like two back-to-back psi Greek letters bypasses any pressure from L3. The surgeon mentioned this metalwork should stay there forever, but I could remember while I was in Hospital I asked him when I can jump again and he responded “…. after 5,6 years you should be OK…..”

Apart form limited movement I have absolutely no problem. To tell the truth time by time I have some back pain but I am sure even a normal guy have same sort of problem.

I moved to UK six years ago and since that time, every now and then I try to join a club and jump at least once again in my lifetime but because of my medical condition they refuse to accept me. They (clubs) say “….you can have a bad landing which makes your life much harder…. ” which is a fair point.

Now here is the question to you. Taking my medical condition to account do you think that I can jump again? At least once? I have been told if I land on water (e.g. a lake or something) that could help to reduce the risk. If this is true can you suggest a club (preferably in UK) with this sort of functionality? I really want to jump again so please help me !

Any help and suggestion would be much appreciated in advance

Regards
Amir

I broke L1 crushed L2 and broke L3 had all the same metal implanted as you describe.
I have made over 1500 jumps since then.
Anything is possible if you can take a little, or a lot, of pain.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

There are many skydivers in the broken back club. I had a burst fracture of L2 about 9 years ago. I have a L1-3 fusion with a plate across L1-L3. I've made about 2500 jumps since my accident. I'm in the states, but I'm sure there are places you can go skydiving in the UK.

there is a website in u.k. called ganfyd.org "get a note from your doctor" that has a lot to say about the state of affairs on this matter, esp in u.k.

so here's what you do. stay _away_ from the big well known drop zones. they like to think they control the sport and all who participate (or _want_ to participate) in it. they are jerkoffs.

instead, go to a remote, small, obscure dropzone, preferably one that charges less for the usual stuff, tandems, AFFs, etc. they need the mula and are likely to overlook any shortcomings. sign up for AFF or refresher jumps, coach jumps, whatever it is that channels your money their way. and lie, lie, lie about your medical status. as long as you aren't going to endanger others or burn it in, there's no harm done in this. and if they look the other way and take your money, thank your lucky stars because you are dealing with rightous dudes.

but if you do this, IT IS UP TO YOU to decide that you are really fit to jump.

btw, the u.k. and european countries strike me as being rather stodgy in their medical fitness attitude. in u.k. if you are over 40, you need note from Dr. Nanny to jump. how stupid is that?

btw, the u.k. and european countries strike me as being rather stodgy in their medical fitness attitude. in u.k. if you are over 40, you need note from Dr. Nanny to jump. how stupid is that?

Obviously not that stupid..........because it stops people like Mr Aryanpour from killing or seriously injuring himself and therefore subjecting the DZ to all sorts of litigation and investigation.

Also, we do not have hayseed DZ's over here in the UK. We are tightly controlled and all jumpers must meet requirements or they do not jump.....get real, no one risks their livlehood on one jump with a punter.

Of course there are always ways around things. When having a medical you are asked to declare certain things.........for example: Have you had any back problems in the last 12 months, well if you want to jump you answer no......its a no-brainer really.

By the way, I jump with a prolapsed L5 and a herniated cervical disc......hurts like f@~> sometimes but hey, you live with it.

Live life! I was told not to jump because of some metal but I figure anything from a car wreck to tripping on the stairs could nail me.

Bear Grylls broke his back like that and still jumps plenty, he is the dude on Man Vs Wild.

Just don't tell them, it's you that will have to live with the side effects.

Really surprised they did not just fuse those vertabrae, especially since it sounds like the contraption they put in probably causes the same reduction in mobility as a fusion would.

I had C5-C6 fused and plated and got the are-you-nuts look when I asked when I could jump again. After further conversation he said he wouldn't, but that it was my choice.

I was back in the sky 6 weeks after surgery, and had an oversized slider put on my Sabre. (Should have done that 2 years ago!)

My only advice would be to find a soft opening canopy.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley