psf

one arm

My father has made two tandem jumps and loved it. He only has his left arm (Right amupatation at shoulder), and he wants to go to skydive on his own. Has anyone ever dealt with this? is it possible? I was thinking a tandem rig, with brakes anchored at leg straps so he could flare both, or have either close to turn.
Any thoughts/ideas?
ignorance is not bliss

I believe there are a number of jumpers with arm amputations. I can't say for sure that I've seen a jumper with the amputation all the way to the shoulder, but quite a few in the elbow areas.
Try contacting the peices of eight guys--I'll see my friend
Lefty in a week or two and ask him.
good luck,
pope

my left arm is amputated at the shoulder and I jump, no prosthesis, no mods to the rig, just a short lanyard with carabiner at each end that is used to connect toggles after opening , for flare . The USPA has info on various situations, as does Strong Enterprises and SkyDive St. Mary's in Georgia. Mike Morley

I have an old posting about jumping with one arm. My left arm was amputated at the shoulder at age 12 due to high voltage electrical burns and A 65' fall. I'm 58 now, have jumped on and off since 1970. I infrequently look through this thread , and have come to see the common theme that evokes pretty much the same answer. Can you jump? YES, WITH restrictions, limitations modifications , persistence and determination. There are all kinds of resources to refer you and guide you on your way. The USPA can point you to the resources that begin the process. They know where the DZ's are that have worked with potential jumpers working around physical limitations. The learning curve is long , frustrating and often painful. How badly do you want to jump ? That is the determining factor. Mike MorleyB|

Mike Morley is a left arm amputee at the shoulder and he jumps at AerOhio Ohio dropzone. I'm a left arm amputee at elbow.

look up Aero Ohio driopzone or PM me for mikes email address I'll put you in touch with him He works in Cleveland but lives an hour south of Cleveland OH.

Mike