mdrejhon

Deaf guy in ground class - Interpreting ideas Needed by April 30!

Hi!

I'm a deaf Canadian. My plans is to start PFF training on the weekend of April 30th, conditions permitting (the Canadian version of AFF).

My other posts are at:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/foru/gforum.cgi?post=1555130
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1555350

As a result, I will need someone to help me understand speech during ground class. It is very hard for me to lipread a fast-speaking lecture, and there is no opportunity to ask the teacher to repeat. It's been over 10 years since I was in a classroom. Here are my options:

• Hire an interpretor? This is problematic because of 1.5 hour roundtrip drive, or a Friday-to-Sunday camping stay, and interpretors are expensive. Interpretors may not be familiar with skydive lingo. I could easily spend over $600-$1000 on interpretor service because of these problematic logistics. In my experience, interpretors would not be worth it in this case.

• Bribe some rigger or other dropzone guy who's a fast typist, to type the lectures on my laptop?

• Pay slightly extra for a dedicated tutoring session during the same day as the class?

• Take the ground class twice to compensate. To be doubly sure that I fill any information that I may have missed in first class.

Fortunately, I am going to a small neighbourhood-like dropzone called Gananoque, which has relatively small class sizes, and a little bit of flexibility.

Note: I do not do ASL, but I do Cued Speech. (I did recently learn fingerspell though). I am a fast typist, and a fast learner and plan to listen very well - it's a matter of life and death that I do ground class properly. But I do not want to spend $750 for a $75 ground class, if I can get the same or better education by spending just $150-$200 (repeating class, tutoring, volunteer typist, etc)

I'm also reading "Parchuting: The Skydiver's Handbook", to help me prepare for my upcoming PFF training.

Ideas? Experiences?

You might try asking the DZ to prepare a typed version of the class lectures, with as many pictures and graphics as possible, to help get points across. It would be nice if the instructor has an assistant to tend to you in the class in case you don't understand something... but the note-taking typist thing ain't a bad idea either if the typer is fast enough, think of it as in-person captioning. ;)

I remember Mike Turoff in Texas gave me a text transcript of the introduction to tandem jumping video by Bill Booth, I think. He thought it would help in case others had the same questions and concerns, and I could just post it on the Deaf Skydivers website... I think we forgot to do that... :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I agree with Billy. Try to get as much of the class material in paper for reading ahead of the class and during the class. This helps me in any classroom setting so I don't spend as much time and energy trying to figure out what the instructer just said, especially with the new terminology you might come across in skydiving. Don't let them assume you understood them, if you have questions, ask. The typist idea is good too. Try to find a cute one :P

Fortunately, I am going to a small neighbourhood-like dropzone called Gananoque, which has relatively small class sizes, and a little bit of flexibility.

If the DZ is as small as you say, why can't they do a one on one class for you?
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

If the DZ is as small as you say, why can't they do a one on one class for you?

agreed... why not? My first DZ was very small... My instructor had my first jump class at his house... nice and quiet... Bwahahahaha... :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

agreed... why not?

I guess all that money I spent going to college to get my deaf ed degree and my interpreter certificate has finally paid off;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Hmmm. I'll ask if they have rates for a dedicated tutor session instead. It no doubt will be much higher, but...

So, because you can't hear, they are allowed to charge you more? If that happens, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to contact them. Give them a chance and see what they say.

Hmmm. I'll ask if they have rates for a dedicated tutor session instead. It no doubt will be much higher, but...

Here in the states, there are laws requiring that reasonable accomodations be made at no cost to the consumer, but there are loopholes for small companies and businesses...

But yes, let Mary help... she can raise hell for you... :ph34r:

But yes, let Mary help... she can raise hell for you...

:ph34r:

Not this time, my plan is to approach the DZO or the manager and educate them. It's if they don't listen then I'll have to get my big stick or fly swatter out ;)

I'm an instructor at the Centre (Skydive Gananoque) where Mark is doing his training.

A: It usually is, and in this case will definetly be one on one training. As Mark mentioned we are a "small" Centre so very seldom do we get more than one or two people at a time going through the freefall portion of our Tandem IAF program.

B: Our main concern is safety. Will McCarthy (the person who is and will be working with Mark) will take as much time as is needed to ensure there is no doubt in Marks mind (and Will's) that he knows what needs to be known. He already has done so to this point (see Marks previous post on his jump last weekend)

C: Unless something has transpired that I'm not aware of, and I doubt that - WE ARE NOT CHARGING ANY EXTRA!!!!. Any extra charges would be solely at Marks discresion i.e. if he wanted to hire an interpreter. The only other reason I can see where there may be any added expense would be through the need of extra / repeat jumps which can happen to anyone.

Feel free to check out our place and the staff at
http://www.skydivegan.com. Look up the Staff Profile.

Although we have had a number of hearing impaired / deaf people do tandems, this is the first time someone will have gone through our program. Will is looking into the best training method for the ground school, and is definetly open to sugggestions.

Edited to say: There is no need for any "big sticks" or "fly swatters"

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

Edited to say: There is no need for any "big sticks" or "fly swatters"

It was a joke, if you had ever met me you would have know that.

This is great news. I'm so happy to hear that you all are going out of your way to make this possible. You guys rock:)

It was a joke, if you had ever met me you would have know that.

Figured it was, I just forgot to put the little :P face guy in there - Sorry, my bad

Also I think we did meet, CSS Easter Boogie during all the sitting on the ground time? I think you, Karen and some others were looking at my pictures.

Fuzzy

I remember you! Great pictures. (you met me, but you haven't really "met" me:ph34r:)

I'm so glad to hear that you are going the extra distance:)

I remember you! Great pictures.

I'm so glad to hear that you are going the extra distance

Thanks, in both cases.

I've asked Will to check out this forum, figure it's a "pretty good" place for advise on this issue:P. (hey I remembered the face guy this time)

Fuzzy

I've asked Will to check out this forum, figure it's a "pretty good" place for advise on this issue:P. (hey I remembered the face guy this time)

That's one of the main reasons I asked Sangiro to set up this forum. One, to help deaf and other handicapped skydivers seek each other out, and Two, to provide a means for people who wanted to find out how to help people like us. Before this, it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack, unless you knew someone who knew one of us.

There are several deaf skydivers that read and post on here. Any of them can share their experiences on how they were trained, what worked and what didn't, etc.

Chime in here, you deafies, if you have a chance! ;)

Blue Skies
Billy

So, because you can't hear, they are allowed to charge you more? If that happens, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to contact them. Give them a chance and see what they say.

It's industry standard that dedicated one-on-one tutoring is more expensive than a school classroom.

However, Gananoque is pretty small so I might be the only person in ground school, if I come during a light early-Canadian-spring weekend.

I already prepaid for my 4th tandem (it was only $165 in Canadian dollerettes! You American dropzones are so much more expensive...) so that is a big incentive to go back to Gananoque anyway. I want to start sooner than April 30th, but April 30th is when I have the savings necessary for the "PFF+a few extra jumps".

I have found a carpool partner, so now all I need to do is solve the classroom issue. Tutoring works much better than classrooms, so if I can be the only person in the classroom, that will be something that I'm willing to volunteer paying extra for because I can ask the instructor to repeat anything I miss. That's something I cannot do during the middle of full class, interrupting a classroom... I'm willing to pay extra to avoid a classroom and be directly tutored instead.

Gananoque isn't charging me extra, it's something I'm offering to pay extra for. I'm still trying to figure out the best methods, because they are a small family-run neighbourhood dropzone. Don't worry, they seem very safe run, you must do 4 tandems (open at 5500ft not 4500ft) before they approve your minimum 8 IAF's, before they even let you jump alone! (same rules for everyone, including me) So that means 4 tandems and 8 IAF's, that's a LOT more than a lot other dropzones do before you're allowed to jump alone, that will make a big difference in my own particular case!

I will bring my laptop next time I go to Gananoque, which means I can talk about 5 times faster to the instructor by keyboard instead of writing.

But I'd like to do the classroom properly!!!
That means, if necessary, to compensate for my deafness, I will:
- Pay extra to be the only person in classroom
- Pay extra for extra classroom time (to allow me to be doubly sure I covered *EVERYTHING*)
- Pay some fast typist volunteer at the DZ to type lectures down on my laptop during class (transcriptions)
- Pay extra for books to study before class. (Got the "Parachuting: The Skydiving Handbook")
(Pay extra as necessary)

I don't want to pay an extra $1000 to a court-reporter-type interpretor to come with me all weekend. I'd rather pay extra for extra classroom/tutoring time, and that will probably be more effective anyway.

Besides, they'd rather me save money, and pay for more jumps ;-) So no official interpretor, except a volunteer-type interpretor.

If I can pay almost nothing extra, that'll be a bonus, and you can bet I'll spend 100% of the savings on extra jumps! (after graduation).

Fuzzy, I'm glad to hear the news that I'm probably going to be the only person in class. That will help me greatly! (I realize it may take somewhat longer to train me because you need to speak slowly to me)

William Mccarthy
(my tandem instructor, and possibly PFF instructor too)

If Fuzzy directs you to this thread, and you are reading this. Can you check your email? I sent two emails this week; let me know what you think; (If missing, check Junk Mail folder...that always happen to everyone, my marky.com email sometimes gets chewed up)

PS...William, if classroom takes longer than expected because of communications issue, I'll be happy to give you a tip in cash equalling to the amount of extra time! I know more classroom time means you have less time flying.
PPS...Thanks for the GREAT 3rd tandem jump training, especially canopy control practice and flaring! And the extra ground time you gave me. And learning about canopy opening behaviour. (More info sent by email)

It sounds like you have found the prefect DZ to help you get through this.

I think things will work out great. Good luck and keep us posted.

I wish I could help you.[:/] I was first deaf jumpmaster. If we live near. I would love to teach you. I have taught some deaf students and lot hearing students and they went very well. At the Deaf World Record the other countries and here USA love my advices. Know the hearing world hard time to detail fully. So I am telling you B| we understand why the bird signing..

Congratulations! The first deaf jumpmaster....

One of these days I would like to participate in some Deaf World Record attempt. Maybe 2006 or 2007, who knows.

Right now my goals are simply to complete PFF, aim for 100 jumps this year (or maybe just 50), and reach CSPA CoP "B" rating. B| I know this is gonna cost me thousands, but...

Maybe I'll become a rigger, to save me some dollars, and pay for a few jumps. :D

Maybe I'll become a rigger, to save me some dollars, and pay for a few jumps. :ph34r:

I'm going to take a wild guess here, and say you haven't read much in the rigging and gear forum:ph34r:

I'll become a reader of that forum once I start learning how to pack my own chute...

Actually, I'm already a LURKER in that forum. Imagine that! Suffice to say, I know getting my own rig could cost thousands unless I buy used (and only on recommendation and inspection by the best at my DZ), use a pillowy soft low loading factor at first, and avoid downsizing too quickly... That's the gist I've gotten so far from that forum. Expensive!

Let's see how my PFF training goes....

It is good start to learn pack your own about 50 times or more. Maybe ask your friends and you pack for them for free few times . They will watch you for awhile and trust you. I have extra rig Talon for sale.It is 350 jumps old and about 15 years old and good for 175 lbs and The reserve chute is round eek ha I asked for 500 bucks.