gilead1

Garmin Fenix 3 as an altimeter???

Hi folks
Does anybody uses Fenix 3 as skydiving altimeter?
Did anyone tried it and can share Insights?
For the last few years I'm using Suunto Ambit (1,2 and now3 peak) as my altimeter and it works very good but I want to change it.

Thanks
Gilead

I honestly don't understand the desire people have to use Suuntos or Garmins as skydiving altimeters. They weren't designed for this so why use them?
There are plenty of purpose built digital altimeters available such as the Viso and Neptunes. A common design parameter is to automatically enter freefall mode when it detects the skydiver exit the plan and provide a large, easily readable altitude display.

Why use something that wasn't design for the purpose you intend to use it?

I just started my AFF program.
However on the first jump the instructors told me that you can not wear a watch?
Is this just a student rule?
Otherwise I see the advantage in the fact that you can write a custom app for the FENIX 3 and have audible, vibration and visual alarm at predefined altitudes.

I don't know about the US, but in Australia you must use an "approved altimeter", that is approved by the Chief Instructor or DZSO. Also I know in at least some Suunto manuals they tell you NOT to use it for skydiving.

You say you can write a customer app for the FENIX 3 to alarm at prefined altitudes... just like a Neptune? So still not seeing the advantage here.

I use a Garmin Tactix (the tactical Fenix basically) but ONLY as a back up to an analogue altimeter and to collect data or use it for the compass and track feature under canopy. DO NOT use it as a stand alone altimeter because sometimes they take some time to acquire satellites...... as an altimeter it matches my manual one perfectly so I have no problems with it BUT it's really not suitable to be a stand alone altimeter