Zennie

First Ever Paraplegic BASE Solo

Thought folks might be interested in this. B|

Russel Metlitsky is (we believe) the first paraplegic to make a solo BASE jump. He made two out at the Potato Bridge this past memorial day weekend.

One of the pics is here. The pic is of Russell making his second jump. Johnny Utah is holding his pilot chute and I'm to the left assisting.

Congrats Russell! B|

Tom Aiello deserves a huge amount of credit for planning and coordinating the jumps.

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

The bridge runs over the Snake River, so Russell performed intentional water landings. We had two boats ready to fish him out, and he was able to tread water without problems during the brief period it took us to get to him.

We're all brainstorming ways of allowing him to land on dry groud so we can get him Paraplegic BASE #1.

Ideas anyone? :)

- Z

one of those big foam pads that they use for high jump? maybe he could land on one of those?

http://www.advantageathletics.com/essx.html

or a crash pad like people use for bouldering?

http://www.backcountry.com/store/BLD0647.html?AFC=CJDataFeed&AID=10281785&PID=1261764&%3BATT=AD-060104

I don't know shit about paraplegics or base jumping, but this was the first thing that came to mind.

Hmmm... interesting thought. Maybe something akin to swoop cords, but for his legs so he can track.

It seems to me that with Russel we need to throw out all notions of what a "standard" BASE harness is all about... because it's designed around landing with your legs. Seems to me maybe something along the lines of what his paragliding harness is like may be do-able in a BASE environment. That is, we need to come up with something that will let him land in more of a sitting, rather than a standing, orientation.

- Z

Dan Fairchild is a para, and we built him a skydiving rig that had an extended but cusion in it. Also attachment point to clip his legs in place after he opened.

Hookkit? You out there. He helped rig the harness, so he'll have a better picture of the logistics.

When there is a will, there is a way!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!