PhreeZone

Astra SB's?

Anyone aware of any Astra SB's or anything that has been put out on these in the last 6-8 years? That seems to be the newest info I can find on them. Also are they still making batteries for these or are everything that is on the shelf "old stock"?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I would be interested to know as well (Let's see if we can keep this thread alive until some good information is released).

I haven't seen them in Paragear, but you can see a link to their product page here , which appears to be updated.

There are some design features of the Astra I really like - any many that I don't.
=========Shaun ==========

No service bulletins for a very long time. Batteries are still available. I think they sold enough Astras in years past that they have good service capability.

I think you will need to contact Guardian/FXC to get the latest.

Is there any testing or re certification needed on a unit? I got a rig in that has been in a closet for 10-11 years and the owner wants to get in the air. I called FXC but they are on a summer shutdown right now and will not be back for another week or two.

I was told there was a SB in the early 2000's but I can't seem to find info on it nor if it was ever complied with on the card. Anyone know what it was?
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

Is there any testing or re certification needed on a unit? I got a rig in that has been in a closet for 10-11 years and the owner wants to get in the air. I called FXC but they are on a summer shutdown right now and will not be back for another week or two.

Last I can find is the 1999 update for the firmware revision M3 to M3B to prevent inadvertent firings.

"Is there any testing or re certification needed on a unit?"

I don't remember any, but I'm unsure.

"I was told there was a SB in the early 2000's but I can't seem to find info on it nor if it was ever complied with on the card. Anyone know what it was?"

Firmware and a more robust cable are the only changes I recall.

The manual says the only maintenance is changing a weak batter or a cutter if fired. It does "recommend" testing at every repack in an altitude test chamber but of course people didn't do that in the old days either.

In one Q&A I read this, which is an interesting take on AAD approvals:

The Rig manufacturers have a responsibility to approve modifications to the Rig insofar as the modification affects the proper functioning of the container/harness and the reserve.
Almost all rig manufacturers have now approved the Cypres "style" installation on their rigs. The Astra can use the same already approved Cypres installation "style" therefore no additional approvals are required to install the Astra.

This is different than what rig companies have done -- e.g., with approvals for the Vigil when new, or "dis-approvals" for the Argus. FXC argued that the rig companies only have jurisdiction over rig modifications, implying that they cannot express their opinion on whether they think the AAD will work or not or jam a loop or whatever.

When in doubt, send that closet-queen back to the FXC factory for testing and updates.
The last Service Bulletin was published about 6 years ago.
FXC sells a test light for ground testing. The test-light allows you to ground test an Astra in the same test chamber that you ground test FXC 12000 AADs.
There are two ways to install the test light. The first method involves reading the manual. The second method involves loud noises and expensive spare parts!
I recommend reading the manual before you start testing. Guess how I learned that one?

So here is my feedback on FXC so far - they suck really badly in terms of any sort of follow up. I have left 3 voicemails with different mailboxes in their company over the last 2 weeks and no one will bother to call me back nor answer their phones when they are around. Their voice mail still reflects being out on leave from almost a week after when they were to be back. I'm hoping that they eventually decide to call me back for my customers issues.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

So here is my feedback on FXC so far - they suck really badly in terms of any sort of follow up. I have left 3 voicemails with different mailboxes in their company over the last 2 weeks and no one will bother to call me back nor answer their phones when they are around. Their voice mail still reflects being out on leave from almost a week after when they were to be back. I'm hoping that they eventually decide to call me back for my customers issues.

Not really behavior you would expect from an established organization specializing in the development, manufacture, and service of life-saving equipment. :|

Unstable

Not really behavior you would expect from an established organization specializing in the development, manufacture, and service of life-saving equipment. :|

I had a similar experience a few years ago when a customer needed a replacement Astra cutter. I was never able to get a reply. Never did get a new cutter. My customer eventually gave up and bought a Vigil to replace the Astra, which is still sitting on my shelf.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I had a similar experience a few years ago when a customer needed a replacement Astra cutter. I was never able to get a reply. Never did get a new cutter. My customer eventually gave up and bought a Vigil to replace the Astra, which is still sitting on my shelf.

That really is a shame, but unfortunately I've just heard that story more than a few times. The sad part is Astra had some potential. A good cutter design, more robust processing unit that either the Cypres I or II, a good price point, and came from a company with a rich history of leading edge AAD design (FXC was the standard for what, 10 years as the Sentinel faded out and the Cypres came to be..). Plus, the visual feedback on the control unit, mounted on a mudflap, made gear checks super easy. Also, the ability to shut off the AAD after deployment really made it the first 'Swooper-friendly' choice on the market.

However, no Firmware revision since 99 (really, they have not improved their algorithms since then!??!! Are they analyzing field data and using it for continual improvement?), horrible customer service, and a less-than-commercial choice in the processing chipset. Oh, and if it would simply turn itself off after 14 or so hours, then it would have saved many a battery packs.