FDNYinTHEsky

AFF 4

On AFF Level four now and repeated it once. My instructors are all VERY VERY helpful and giving me great tips a long with everyone else at the farm. But For some reason I cant Seem to keep my legs solid in the proper position during free fall. They either wobble a round a bit or are very unsymetrical. I am very comfortable in the air but I don't know what it is. On the GROUND I got it down but it seems once im in the air I "feel" as if I am doing ti but video shows I am not. Anyone have any tips on me keeping a proper arch and good legs throughout the sky dive. I REALLY want to just bang out the level and have everything click. So Whatya got for me...?
-"It's amazing the kinds of things you think about when there's no time to think."

TOWER LADDER 44...FDNY, SOUTH BRONX

You might try standing in a doorway with your feet about 12" back from the door frame, placing your crotch against the doorframe and leaning way back.
Practice/develop muscle memory.
Also, search the forum a bit for some answers; use the term "arch" in the search box. You'll quickly learn you're not at all alone in your question.

Good luck!

Leg awareness is hard. It took me a while for it to click as well, and it is something that I still have the constantly work on.

What helped for me in the beginning was having some one push against my legs while I was simulating an arch during groud prep. I was able to get some feel of where my legs should be, and what the pressure on them should feel like.

A wind tunnel might also help if you find yourself stuck.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Take your socks off. Feel for the airflow over your feet. That'll happen if you're wearing any kind of trainers - not if you're wearing boots or skate shoes.

Unless you're a martial artist, rock climber, ball room dancer etc, you probably need to work a lot on lower body awareness.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

When I was learning to jump I spent quite a bit of time practicing on the floor. Arching wasn't really a natural position for my body / legs. It just takes practice.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Unless you're a martial artist, rock climber, ball room dancer etc, you probably need to work a lot on lower body awareness.

So you think taking up Ballroom Dancing will complete his skydiving training ?? :P

Kevin

No, I think that working on lower body awareness for a few minutes a week, when completely adrenalised, isn't the best, fastest most fun or cheapest way to work on gaining lasting lower body awareness.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

A wind tunnel might also help if you find yourself stuck.

I'll second everything that Doug said...but especially recommend the wind tunnel. Since getting my A, it's helped my stability and fall rate immensely - I've worked out lots of things I haven't been able to work out in the air.

My girlfriend, OTOH, was having problems with spinning when they let her go on her AFF release dive. Had to go through it a few times. Then she spent 10 minutes in the tunnel, came back out, and shot through that level & the rest of AFF.

Like most of the posts suggest, it's all about muscle memory, training your body...and about finding what works so you can practice doing it again. If you're having problems, I think the tunnel gives you a great venue to do that, as opposed to the "hit-or-miss" approach that frustrates so many AFF students. Some of us need to try different things in order to figure out what works - combining 50 seconds of freefall with the nerves and all the things one needs to remember during AFF just doesn't provide the optimum environment for some of us to "get it."

I know it's a tall order, but if you get the chance, make your way up to Skyventure New Hampshire (Skyventure has territory in Manhattan reserved, but it's as-of-yet not operational). They'll set you straight pretty darn quick, I'd guess. (And even if you're not "stuck," I'd recommend it - you'll go back to the sky feeling much more confident and RELAXED about the freefall portion of your jumps...and as we know, relaxing is key...).

Luck!
Signatures are the new black.

Thanks Everyone I appreciate the Help...I was supposed to get back into the air this past sunday but the wind was not cooperating. So Tommorow is the new day. Hopefully Ill get it this time around. Im feeling a bit more confident about it...Should allllll work out. thanks again everyone.
-"It's amazing the kinds of things you think about when there's no time to think."

TOWER LADDER 44...FDNY, SOUTH BRONX