Deleted

900 and below

Curious as to what yall think of us army airborne jumping at 850 and below. This is as low as some base jumps... at least from what ive read..and with all thier equipment...I hear the british paras jump at 200-300. Just as dangerous as base or not???

Sucks to be you-LOL
mmmmmm rounds,lots of people ocsillating into each others lines, gotta drop a ruck AND get the freakin weapon off yur leg all at the same time, plus whatever else you guys have to do.
Cheers to ya man but I hope all my jumps can remain above 2 grand, under a sqaure canopy, and for fun and not for war.

D.Chisolm C-28534
[email protected]
http://www.sunraydesigns.com

Well not all of it sucks...its free..and at nite it can be very cool...Question Can i use my mil. parachute expierence towards a sky diving license...I really am not sure of stuff like that. I just got the itch and am thinking going higher and falling further..Any info would be appreciated

HI Anon,
So... 900ft AGL! You must be in the US Army... I bet they even give you a reserve:S.
Anyway, military parachuting is completely different from "sport" parachuting (apart from SF HaLo/HaHo). The object of a military drop is to deliver (light) infantry into theatre and the less time they spend (effectly helpless) under canopy the less time there is for the Germans :o to turn their machine guns on them. Did I just say Germans? I meant... Errr...
Anyway, drop height for military is basically set to give 'chute time to open, & prep for landing. That's it! Oh yes, it's considered a good thing if most of the parachute drop survives (MORE history - Operation Market Garden was done in the expectation that there would be a 20-25% casualty rate JUST FROM THE DROP!!!!>:().
Anyway, convention is that "military static line drops DO NOT count towards licenses or ratings.
Mike D10270.

To answer the original question, I'd have to say doing a low-level military static line would be much safer than doing a 300' base jump. I can't give you hard numbers, but from what I remember the military chutes have very few malfunctions and they're actually designed to open within the first 100' or so. While I was in airborne school, we made over 1000 round S/L jumps with no malfunctions. We did, however, have many landing-related injuries - it's not any fun to land those rounds. We jumped at 13-1400' during training. The lowest jump I heard of was from about 700' during the invasion of Panama. And to answer MikeD's question, no they didn't make them wear reserves, although some of them did anyway just so they'd have a little additional padding when they hit the ground.

I have done 2 base jumps from a 220' bridge (exit to ground was 12 seconds) and a good friend of mine was a ranger and he told me some horror stories about S/L jumps in the military. I would take a base jump any day.
"I'll jump anything!"

220'!!!
Shit man, was that assisted? If so, how? Obviously I know nothing about base and have never made a military SL jump either, but there is one very important difference IMHO : the base jumper is in control of his jump (ie when to dump), while the paratrooper is simply soap on a rope. I appreciate that paratroopers have to be rather tough, but apart from their landings I don't see that much skill involved in their SL jumps (balls yes!).
Also base jumpers pack their own chutes, they control the entire jump, how many paratroopers even know how to pack a parachute?
/s
[drop till you party!]

I don't know alot about BASE but depending on the height the jump is mad from there are differences in gear. Larger pilot chutes being one so there is more snach force. Mesh sliders will get air into the canopy quicker, and different packing techniques like direct bagging (packing without a D-bag). There is also BASE specific gear you can get as well. There are many things that could be done to speed up a sub terminal opening.
Craig

BASE gear and skydiving gear are extremely different. The principals are the same but the equipment is different and you really need to know what the f*ck you are doing if you are going to BASE. One single mistake very well may be your last one. You only got one canopy and it is usually much bigger. Packing is a cross between pro packing and reserve packing. The containers are very different. Its just a whole different sport all together.
"I'll jump anything!"

That is a tough one, I have only done 2 BASE jumps, although I only started skydiving in July of last year...but the feeling of my first BASE was exactly the same type feeling as my first skydive. Extremely overwhelming! Total Sensory Overload! I am very glad that I have it on video or otherwise I would have a tough time remembering the details. I think that it was magnified by probably 10 with BASE. I hate heights and this was 220', well below the level where you start to get ground rush. The other cool/scary part is that you dont have relative wind to jump in so you actually get the sensation of falling, which is new. I would like to try skydiving from a hot air balloon, I would imagine that would be similar and in fact that is how a lot of BASE schools start you off. BASE is a nerve wracking thing but well worth the thrill. You really have to do your homework, though. BASE is much more dangerous. The landing areas are usually terrible, you are low to the ground so you dont have much time to react, you could have an off heading opening and smack into something. You really have to know your equipment and have some REALLY good canopy control skills. Your body position is everything too...because thats going to determine what kind of opening you may have. Its just insane. I BASEd in November of last year. When we were in the getaway car, the first thing I said was "how much does one of these rigs go for?". I was all fired up to do more, but since then the drive has died down...but the good news is that I am off to Moab on Thursday...hehehe. So to answer your question: BASE is a bigger rush. I also think that every exit point for BASE has its own skill level and therefore a different rush to it. Whereas in skydiving, you can only get so excited from doing 4 ways all day. So you then move onto CRW or Freeflying or whatever...but with BASE:its skydiving compressed into a much smaller timeframe with much higher consequences. plus, BASE is illegal in most areas so you may have the luxury of getting chased around or getting caught (which is usually a very bad thing). I am still very young in skydiving and base...so that is my long winded explaination. I dont even know if I gave you an answer, but if you think about either sport...they are both absurd, but worth it.
"I'll jump anything!"

I enjoyed that post man! Just makes me more and more keen to get more skydiving done, seems all the fun stuff (wingsuits, skysurfing etc.) can only be done after getting your D license. Now I understand why so many base jumpers go to South Africa - it is totally legal. Not even like Malaysia, I mean it is legal all the time as long as you don't endanger spectators etc. The Table mountain cable car operators were getting annoyed because all the base jumpers would only buy 1 way tickets to get up the mountain! :)It only costs R50 (roughly $7) for the cable car ride (mountain is about '1000 high) too, so no hiking to get to the top and no having to worry about police when you land.
If you ever want to go out there, there are some pretty experienced jumpers who are also really friendly. They skydive at Citrusdal, a very chilled out, very friendly DZ. I am going to Cape Town for 2 weeks in December, so let me know nearer the time if you want to fly out. And remember, December is the middle of the summer in South Africa and all the European models fly south to do their tanning on our beaches...
:)/s
[drop till you party!]

No problem, dude...Let me know if you have anymore questions. I would be happy to share my thoughts on em anyways. My BASE "mentor" just got back from south africa. what a trip man!!! they did all that stuff, they even paid a security guard a case of beer to jump off the roof all day. they guy just told them to lock up when they were done. thats great. I wish it was like that over here, "Land of the Free", my ass!!! Oh well, at least in Moab, its legal there. Just stay out of National Parks. Anyways I know a guy at Citrusdal. Francis Jackson. Really cool guy, extremely interesting person to meet. I know that he was going to be going to New Zealand at some point, but if you see him. Tell him I said "Yebo!".
"I'll jump anything!"

Dude, just about everybody at Citrusdal is friendly. Lots of older skydivers as well (although not as old as some of the people who have been posting to that music thread!!!), very family atmosphere, but in the evenings.... WOO-HOO!!! The DZ is in the middle of an orange farm in a REALLY scenic valley (note : the one side of the valley can get rather close when tracking!). When the bar opens everybody normally goes down to the river (in the summer) and chills out there drinking. Then back to the DZ for a HUGE braai (BBQ) fire, lots of drinking and wind-mills that are stronger than a prop blast! Their lift capacity isn't great, but the people and social side is. Sorry, this is coming across as a bit of a plug...:)Oh yes, and they allow americans on the DZ...;)
/s
[drop till you party!]

Yeah, I was actually on their website last week just to see what its like over there. Seems like a pretty cool place. You gotta make sure you dont go bombing through the orchard in your truck though or go swimming past a certain part of the creek...rules, rules, rules. But seriously, it does sound like a really cool place to jump!
"I'll jump anything!"

I am there, dude...If you ever find yourself in the states come on over to Skydive New England. Especially the Tiki Bar party on Memorial Day...that one is not to be missed. We are getting a super otter here this year too. One of my favorite DZs.
"I'll jump anything!"