riggerrob

USMC static-line with reversed 3-Rings

I recently saw a photo of United States Marines doing static-line jumps with reversed 3-Ring risers. There was an RW-1 ring sewn to the bottom of the main riser and the rest of the 3-Ring mechanism was on the harness. The main container was slightly smaller than a T-10 and did not have a dedicated back-pad, rather padded shoulder straps floated near the risers. It looked like the main container was held closed by something other than break-cord.

Can any one confirm if this is a production configuration?
Can anyone tell us what type of canopies are installed?

Here is a photo showing the same configuration.
http://media.dma.mil/2013/Dec/19/2000761221/600/400/0/131219-M-YG378-703.JPG

More. Looks like T-11 assembly.
http://www.combatreform.org/T-21.htm

Scroll down. Looks like they have an updated release hardware to release the loop on the three ring. On photo has one open and the far one closed with a what looks like a tape release handle similar to an R-2.:S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I am a Marine as well as a static-line Jumpmaster and Military Free Fall Jumpmaster. The MC-7 is only being jumped by the Marines because the Army wanted the cape well system instead of a 3-ring. The Armys version is the MC-6, the exact same system except it has a cape well release. (The Army also uses over-the-shoulder ripcord for free fall instead of BOC like the Marine Corps) The Marine Corps free fall program and equipment is much better because we are a much smaller entity.

The 3-ring on the MC-7 has a white soft loop girth hitched onto a locking lug. It passes through the (bottom) small ring and the lug secures into its receiver.

The T-10 way outdated and not very comfortable at all. Any other questions let me know.

Does the release hardware on the locking loop do anything but release the three ring? Is it an automatic release of some sort? (water landing) It seems over engineered and overkill.

Are marines using this system taught to cutaway for a malfunction? I assume not.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

There are not cutaway procedures for malfunctions, you just deploy your reserve (both canopies rounds).

To activate the release you pull the cover down and depress two levers to release the locking lug. It is so you don't get drug by high winds after landing.

It is over engineered, but then again, it is a military system...

Some systems (Folland Gnat ejection seat) wrap the spring in a separate cloth sleeve. The spring is not attached to the pilot-chute. That allows the spring to expend all its energy in launching the pilot-chute, but the weight does not interfere with the pilot-chute after launch.
IOW the heavy spring contributes nothing after it has launched the pilot-chute.