kkeenan

Reserve Ripcord Length

A question to riggers:
Would you decline to pack a reserve that used a ripcord that was longer than specified by the manufacturer?
I realize that a too-short cable has obvious issues, and that is not my question. If the mfg. specifies X length for a certain model of their container, and a customer presents a ripcord that is X + 1" or X + 2", etc. (even though it is from the same mfg.), would you consider it to be an acceptable alternative, or would you consider it an improper substitution ?
If longer is acceptable, how much over the specified length would you allow ?

Kevin K.

To be honest, I've never measured one.

As long as there's "enough" cable below the handle, and there's no indication that it's not the correct one, then I pack it.

If it was obviously too long (as in well below the bottom of the D-ring), then I'd take a closer look.
If it wasn't the original one, I'd shoot an e-mail off to the manufacturer to see what they say.
And then either pack it or refuse until I get the proper ripcord based on the response.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Wonder where your getting the specified length. I can think of a couple of rigs that might have it in the manual or on the rig and it's probably in some new manuals that I haven't needed but for the most part I'd have to call the manufacturer to know what the spec length was.:S

Up to about the far side of the d handle I don't have much grief. 1 or 2 inches is nothing.

UNLESS it's an SOS system. Even then longer not an issue but extra length more critical.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I train young riggers to check compatibility by looking at where the ball swage hangs relative to the "D" handle. If the ball swage is between the middle and the bottom edge of the "D" handle, great!
If the ball swage is less than an inch (2.2 cm) from the top, I worry about an accidental deployment as the harness stretches during main deployment.
If the ball swage hangs below the bottom edge of the "D" handle, I worry about accidentally snagging the ball while moving around the airplane.

26 inches used to be the industry standard for single-pin reserve ripcords. If you want to stock a spare ripcord, stock a 27 incher, because it can be installed in the most popular sizes of Vector, Javelin, Talon, etc.

FYI Talons (Flexons, Voodoos, Telesis, Aviators, etc.) are built with a dozen different reserve ripcord lengths depending upon the size of container, size of yoke, type of harness (chest rings?) and length of MLW.
The same variables apply to pilot emergency parachutes, so I pay more attention to where the ball swage hangs in the "D" handle.

I would say that the correct answer would likely be found by placing the owner of the rig in his own suspended harness. That way, the full weight of the jumper is on the harness and the swaged ball shouldn't be against the top of the D handle. Knowing that parachute opening forces exceed the weight of the user, I would say that one to 3 inches distance between the ball and the D handle top would be fine while being suspended. A good idea is to check that the reserve pin didn't move when doing so.
I have already published an easy way how to use your own suspended harness to perform cut away pratice. This test to check the suitable ripcord cable length is still easier.
Note : I like to store the excess of cable + ball inside the handle pocket.
But anyway, I don't have anymore such a problem on my rig since it is equiped with reserve Spectra cable and bungee built inside.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

skydiverek

***Note : I like to store the excess of cable + ball inside the handle pocket.

Then, you are 'locking' all the cable play...

Negative. The velcro doesn't have enough holding power on that skinny cable and tiny ball to keep it from sliding on its lengthwise axis. Try it by pulling on the cable with your fingers and see how easy it is to extract it from the velcro. That technique just keeps the loose cable neat and out of the way, but doesn't hinder performance.

The Velcro of the pocket is not strong enough to hold the cable. It allows the cable to slide easily. Try it on your own rig and you will see there is no problem. This procedure is just to stuff the cable where nothing can catch the ball.
In Germany, several years ago, a jumper was outside of an airplane just at the rear of the side door preparing for a group exit. The cable and swaged ball was caught in a little slot of the airframe near the door. "Ready, set go" and he got an instant reserve which deployed in the airplane tail. Fortunately, the canopy let go. That loose cable and ball was the cause of the most horrible potential accident for him and everybody else in the airplane. Little thing having big consequences or Murphy law : « If it can happen, it will».
Thanks Quartz to back me up.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I worry about an accidental deployment as the harness stretches during main deployment.

I've seen 4 big people fire reserves during climbout, three were static liners all on the same load who all had duals, with gear that was regularly told to the DZO they had too short a RC cable on them... the fourth guy damn near died after the reserve went over the tail, the left front riser had 4 out of 5 line cut as they went through the tails skin like butter and sliced and diced the tail all to hell, and the lines too, lucky the fifth inboard line was only cut half way through.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo