jtval

thomaston ,ga

I would have been there, except I was in Michigan for my oldest brother's wedding. Was going to jump with him, but had problems with the flight up there so I landed too late to jump.
I'll be in Ireland next weekend, but hope to be back at Skydvive Atanta the following weekend.
If you ran into Marcus, Lisa, or Faye they are all .com-ers.

If anyone lives near atlanta come on out to thomaston.
Skydive atlanta has some of the best vibes of any dropzone out there. We have an awesome group of freeflyers. Oh yeah, the RW guys are good too.

Even if you don't live near Atlanta, it is still a great place I know people who drive from Southern GA, South Carolina, Alabama, and Tennessee to Skydive Atlanta in Thomaston. That is one of the things I like about it, you get folks from Macon, Columbus, Atlanta, and all around.
I haven't ever seen such a large group of freeflyers anywhere else, not even in Perris Valley when I was there. We've got some seriously talented RW guys too. You know, guys like Doug Glover with 24 years and 7000 jumps into the sport.
Did you make the Easter Boogie? I was out of town.

To the person asking about a DZ near Columbus, GA: Yes, there is a DZ within 35 minutes of Columbus called Skydive Opelika. It is a two-Cessna 182 DZ located right off of I-85 between Auburn and Montgomery (actually in Tuskeegee on Moton Field). You would cross the river on 280 into Alabama, then turn left on Highway 80 and follow it straight for about 30 miles. The website is www.skydiveopelika.com . Jumps are $12 to 10,500 and the crowd is very laid back. There are also two righteous natural swoop-canals there. Check out the pics of me swooping them in the photo gallery on this (Dropzone.com) website.
If you don't like Cessna DZ's, then the next closest DZ to you is Thomaston (about an hour and a half drive). Last year they had an Otter and a Queen Air. I went to a GSL meet there last year and had a pretty good time. Not much farther away is Skydive Monroe (I recommend it). Also pretty close is Cedartown.
Chuck Blue
D-12501
Atair Factory Pilot

f you don't like Cessna DZ's, then the next closest DZ to you is Thomaston (about an hour and a half drive). Last year
they had an Otter and a Queen Air. I went to a GSL meet there last year and had a pretty good time. Not much farther
away is Skydive Monroe (I recommend it). Also pretty close is Cedartown.

How are you driving to get these drive times? Columbus to Thomaston is only 45 miles. This is a 45 minute drive for my friends who live there and jump in Thomaston. It is 100 miles (by air) to Monroe, and 110 miles (also by air) to Cedartown (which I won't go to even though it's only 30 miles from me).
BTW, some time within the next couple weeks Skydive Atlanta is getting a Super Otter. Mike sold the Queen Air, because it was just sitting in the hangar unused.

Dutchboy,
Will you kindly get your little ass back to Thomaston?? I need to say something and you need to be there to hear it...Let me know when ya' get back...Most of my friends jump there (including you, you just don't realise who I am) so I'll come down to tell ya' in person cause it's pretty hard to do this on a keyboard...
FFF

Will you kindly get your little ass back to Thomaston?? I need to say something and you need to be there to hear it...Let
me know when ya' get back...Most of my friends jump there (including you, you just don't realise who I am) so I'll come
down to tell ya' in person cause it's pretty hard to do this on a keyboard...

OK, Skeeter, now I'm going to be curious my whole time in Ireland (leaving in 30 minutes). I may be there on the 28th, if I'm not giving little kiddies plane rides up in Rome that day. Otherwise, I probably won't be there till the 5th of May.
BTW, Rachel V. says "Hey". She works at my company now.

As you were; I was speaking in relation to Opelika. It took an hour and a half to drive to Thomaston from my dad's place down there. I live in Fayetteville, NC and jump at Raeford, but my dad (Buddy Blue) owns Skydive Opelika. From his place, all the "other" places I mentioned are about equidistant, especially by air in one of our planes.
Glad Mike is getting a Super Otter. That blue one from Alaska or wherever for the GSL meet last year was a DOG.
Chuck Blue
D-12501

Dutchie,
I'll be screwed blue...I didn't think you would know me here...tee-hee...and tell Rachel I said "hi" and give her all my love...see ya' on the 28th...
FFF
PS. sorry for the secrecy...it's just hard to type this so I'd rather do it in person...later, dude, and have fun in Ireland...
FFF

Cyber,
The last time I was in Monroe was last summer when ya'll were doing the AFF certification thingy... and Bill hadn't supplied the webmasters with sheep yet...but he was talking about it then...hehehe...he just couldn't figure out whether to hide them in the king air at night or take a chance and let 'em roam free to play in the hangar...
FFF

Well I'm back from Ireland. Managed to make a jump at the IPC, and also got two more in at Thomaston after I landed this afternoon. I figure Hartsfield is midway between my house and the DZ, so why pass up the opportunity.
I'll tell y'all more about it when it isn't 4am in the time zone I just left.

So where ya' gonna' be this weekend?? Rome or S/A?? At 2.5 miles per gallon and gas at $1.59 I can't go both places

An interesting question. I really did want to fly some kiddies this weekend, but then again, I can do all of that after I finish my plane for only 10% of the cost. Doug is having another skills camp at Skydive Atlanta on Saturday, so I'm going to have to go with b) Skydive Atlanta.