Pammi

Strange question perhaps...

Why is it after a full day of jumping you can be so tired? It just seems strange to me...I'll spend most of the day sitting around the DZ waiting for the load, jump maybe 4 times or so if I'm lucky and just feel happily tired and relaxed at the end of the day. Since most of my time is sitting around, on the ground or in the plane, wonder why that is...?
Pammi
"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

It's the adrenaline!! That thing is powerful as hell! But the effects ware out. Let me ask you this: Does anyone feel the same: I remember on my AFF I jumped 4 times on my first day and I was EXHAUSTED!! Around 40-50 jumps I would be tired after a 7-jump day. But after about 90-100 jumps the rush was not there anymore? I mean it's still fun and I love doing it, it's actually better if you're learning something and your head is cool while our doing it, but except for the weekend-opener jump you're really dont feel as excited as you used to? Or is it just me?

Flying is also pretty hard work!
Since I have been back at it, I've lost almost 20 pounds, and have had some pretty sore Mondays. Add to that the dirt diving, the mental part of it, and flying the canopy in for that stand-up landing, and that's a workout.
Especially for an almost-forty software geek whose been a real couch potato. I have a doctor's appt tomorrow. I'm going to have to explain all the bruises and scratches. I'm going to have to explain terms like "hard dock", "corking", "burble", "high flare", "late flare", "downwind landing", "crosswind landing", "PLF", etc., etc.
Or not. Maybe I'll blame it on rough sex. :)Carl

That's funny this came up. I got 6 in on Saturday, all RW and at the end of the day someone asked me to manifest again and I said..... (sit down)...... "I can't". I was exhausted. I didn't even want to walk out to the plane.
I workout everyday and am in good shape, but I was gone. I didn't even stick around and slam a few. Instead I slept 9 hours, got up and made 4 more on Sunday. For those of us in the north it might be the heat and sun too.

i don't find that the adrenaline has stopped... i have about 250 jumps within the last year (one year next saturday actually) and still have that same feeling in the door every time. =c) I love this sport.
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks

Especially for an almost-forty software geek whose been a real couch potato. I have a doctor's appt tomorrow. I'm going to have to explain all the bruises and scratches. I'm going to have to explain terms like "hard dock", "corking", "burble", "high flare", "late flare", "downwind landing", "crosswind landing", "PLF", etc., etc.

Bad boy! Always lie to the doctors and say you fell down the stairs, slipped in the bathtub, or some other lame-ass whuffo excuse unless you have no other choice (i.e. the Life Flight helo picks you up on the DZ). You never know when your insurance company is going to get stupid and decide not to cover you because you were skydiving, getting ready to skydive, or even having a dream about skydiving. Scuba diving with sharks = Covered; Riding a BMX bike down Mount Everest = covered; Skydiving = High risk activity, not always covered. :P

I've got 150 jumps, started AFF last August. I don't get the "fear" rush when I'm in the door anymore. But I am still flying high an hour after landing. I think I find other things give me more of a rush, enhance it. I'm lacing my skydiving with good big ways, hitting a lot of points, that half a second where I actuall have the headown. And there is always more to learn and experience. God, it's to early in the week for me to be getting excited again.

Pammi-
the tired thing is totally normal! Saturday our clouds burned off at 1, and I was competing in NSL which meant we had to get in 6 rounds that day before sunset. starting at 1 we were premanifested on every 3rd load until sunset. I only did 6 jumps that day total, which is average for me on a weekend... but between jumping, landing, 5 minute pack job (yeah grogs i CAN pack in 5 and it opens safely!!), 20 minutes of dirt diving for the next round, then in the plane again... you feel like some one beat you with a club (a good club though- we won! 30 minutes of free tunnel time!!)!
And people say skydiving isn't hard. That irritates me more than anything... I just want to show them a vid of a point flying sidebody-donut to sideflake donut. i work more in those few seconds than in a 9-5 work day. for less pay, too. =c)
ramble ramble.... =c)
Blues-
Stacy
http://astro.temple.edu/~sweeks