Pammi

Now I have to!

Have you seen how many women swoopers there AREN'T?! I was just looking at the people in the Para-performance Blade Competition and there is, what, two women?? Now if that's not a challenge, I don't know what is!
So why do you figure more guys are swooping then women?? Really am curious about that...
Pammi
A-38461
"The question is not whether we will die, but how we will live."
http://trak.to/skydivechick

So why do you figure more guys are swooping then women?? Really am curious about that...

One word... testosterone
We have one girl at our Dropzone who can outswoop most, if not all of the guys, but she's one of the few I've ever seen.

Oh, I see...those balls hanging down help with balance perhaps? LOL! Testosterone. mmm hmmm :D
It really DOES look like fun...if I can ever land my canopy without sliding in on my a$$ or face, I may want to try it one day :)

well i guess that extra weight below our center of balance helps.(not that i can swoop yet...they're still growing ha ha)
actually i think it has to do with statistics too. with the amount of woman compared to man in the sport the ratio prob'ly isnt THAT DIFFERENT, but the numbers are. i have no idea how factual that is but if you can't impress them with intelligence, baffle 'em with bullshit, right!! :D
but if you can persuade more woman to join our world...i think a lot of us would be happy!
(says in a whisper) come join our secret society. bwahhahahahaha(taps fingers on desk)
have fun, live free, SKYDIVE
JT

Oh, I see...those balls hanging down help with balance perhaps? LOL! Testosterone. mmm hmmm

Hmmm.... Now that you mention it ;)
No, seriously I'm thinking more about the psychological effects of testosterone (aka, being a guy) than any physical effects. I think guys have more of a tendency to want to impress people watching them land. Sort of a cro-magnon, macho thing. They see other guys swooping and think it looks really cool, so they just *have* to do it themselves. Most women seem to be a little more rational about it.

guys have more of a tendency to want to impress people watching them land

I dunno. If I were a swooper I'd do it for the personal kick. So I'd swoop if there were 100 or 0 people watching.
Now where the testosterone (or Darwinism) may kick in is how aggressively I do it. I'd prolly wind up being more aggressive if more people were around. Sort of that "Hey y'all. Watch this!" syndrome.
Since I know this is how I am, I'll prolly need to spend my whole career keeping that impulse in check. :o
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Sort of that "Hey y'all. Watch this!" syndrome.

LOL!!! That's funny that you mention that. I was always told that whenever someone says that, you should definately go watch cuz they are gonna do something really stupid and probably funny :) hehe

I was always told that whenever someone says that, you should definately go watch cuz they are gonna do something really stupid and probably funny

Yep. And it's probably gonna hurt a lot. :D
BTW. That's the punch line to the "What's the last thing you hear a stupid redneck say?" joke. :D
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

The few "swoopy" landings I pulled off under my Safire were nothing compared to what the "real" canopy pilots can do, but I can say that the little bit of swoop I got was frickin' awesome! Best one started with a carving toggle turn lower than I normally turn final, then I hit the sweet spot, picked my feet up (probably didn't have to, but I'm sure it made me look really cool ;)) and held it until the canopy started stalling. Punched out the rest of the flare and stood up just like I knew what the f*** I was doing. I was so sure that I had it dialed in; was never going to biff a landing again...
Next jump I screwed it up totally and went sliding along on my ass. And the next one... and the next one.....
You go Pammi! I'll be there on the shore of the pond with cameras!!
pull and flare,
lisa

ROFL! Well, right now, that sounds about like me...one good accidental swoop and now I'm happy if I just don't bif! hehe
Oh well, something else to work on! Woohoo!
Pammi

OK We did this one a while ago and the whole thing about women having a harder time landing came up. I like this idea better. Men are constantly in competition and trying to push themselves to look better to impress the women. Women are more confident in themselves and don't hink that this is the best way to impress. Or maybe woman are just a little samrter and realize that hitting the ground hurts
Ready, Set, GOOOOOOO
Albatross

They're out there Pammi. At Quincy last year I went for a solo out of the CASA and just as I shut my canopy down on landing I saw a blue blur on the left and a red blur in front.
Two amazing hot girls in freefly suits, the redhead under a double-digit Icarus VX and the blue-haired girl on some other elliptical. Now the blue girl came in smokin' but the redhead didn't shut her canopy down for at least 150 feet. It was an amazing swoop.
I smiled, drooled a bit then went to go change my, now sticky, silk Mickey Mouse boxers.
Kris
Damn, I LOVE this sport!

Me, I'd rather live another day without painful injuries than impress somebody

pain is temporary, broken bones heal, chicks dig scars, and America has the highest doctor to daredevil ratio in the world.

Guys tend to try to show off at the DZ more

what you are forgetting is that most of us swoop to impress ourselves, not to impress others. when I land out (but on familar turf I know to be free of hidden obstacles) I still use the same high speed approach. Why would I do that if I only wanted to impress others. oh, and the canopy lands better with a high speed approach, not that I can't do a stright in landing.
blue skies

pain is temporary, broken bones heal, chicks dig scars, and America has the highest doctor to daredevil ratio in the world.

I have a friend/mentor who told me this the other day when I was telling him I thought his landing style was a bit dangerous (he was swooping in with one leg pointed straight out and the other tucked back, much like a baseball slide). My reply was 'yeah, pain is temporary, but it means you won't be able to skydive for a month or 2 if you break your ankle' I think *that* gave him pause to think about it. :)

Two amazing hot girls in freefly suits, the redhead under a double-digit Icarus VX

Ah, you and the redheads :) lol
Sweet! Glad to hear the girls are getting some of the action! I really hope to be in the same class as those gals one day...that one accidental one I did had me daydreaming all week til I biffed it in the next time I tried :) LOL!
Blue skies and low winds!
Pammi