Deus

Hopelessly Addicted Newbie Question

Alright, it's been a while since my last jump, due to no fault of my own, although I take full responsiblity for it. I have had way to many things going on, but I have the freefall bug worse than I could imagine possible. I also have a whuffo g/f, soon to be wife, and she's really sick of hearing me speak about this love/obsession I have. I've tried to talk her into it, and she even seem relatively interested, however she says that she doesn't want to get "addicted" to it, she just wants to do it once. I feel like as soon as I get her out the plane, there's no way to avoid addiction, but some people are different, I guess.
I guess this brings me to my question - I have been looking at getting back into skydiving soon(as possible, each earth bound moment is almost torturous, especially on days without clouds in the sky, I can almost smell the engine fumes) and it seems like the the cost of student programs is around $1,200 - $1,400, roughly... what then? I hear that up tickets usually cost less than $20? Is this true? After your AFF do you just have to pay for up tickets and rentals till you buy your own rig?
God, I miss falling....
Till we meet in the sky,
Deus

however she says that she doesn't want to get "addicted" to it, she just wants to do it once

C'mon man, give it a try. The first one's free.... :D

it seems like the the cost of student programs is around $1,200 - $1,400, roughly... what then? I hear that up tickets usually cost less than $20? Is this true? After your AFF do you just have to pay for up tickets and rentals till you buy your own rig?

Yep on both counts. You might be able to avoid the rental costs by borrowing/demoing a rig. Otherwise, I'd strongly recommend that you purchase one as soon as you can. Those rental fees add up!
There's one cost that nobody's quite sure about because it's based on a new USPA requirement: those 12-odd jumps between AFF and your "A" license. Under the new BSR's you're supposed to be accompanied by a certified jumpmaster or coach until you get your "A" license. I don't know what effect this has/will have cost-wise.
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Hi, Zennie:
This is a point of confusion for me, as well. I asked about it Friday, and the answer was 3 jumps with a Skydive U/RW coach (for me about $80 each one) and then the balance with someone willing to jump with me who has at least an "A" license.....but I am still confused. And you have to do some solos, which seems to contradict the other requirements. To get your "A" at Perris, you must also have 20 jumps total, 5 landings within 25 meters of the target (but is that while on student status with the radio, or on your own after AFF?), packing classes, and some further ground instruction. Perris has an interesting rental to own type of deal, but you must buy new gear to participate in it.
I will try to find out more particulars and specifics, and if I find anything out, I will post.
ciel bleu
Michele

At our dropzone, we have a 20 jump sequence now. It includes all the AFF dives, 10 or so coach jumps, and a check dive on number 20 to get cleared for the A license. The total cost of the whole thing runs around $2000.

There's one cost that nobody's quite sure about because it's based on a new USPA requirement: those 12-odd jumps between AFF and your "A" license. Under the new BSR's you're supposed to be accompanied by a certified jumpmaster or coach until you get your "A" license. I don't know what effect this has/will have cost-wise.

That's a really good question. The new BSR's state:
"Students engaging in group freefall jumps must be trained and accompanied by a USPA coach or jumpmaster until the student has obtained a USPA A license"
which pretty much says to me they need to either be doing a coached jump or a solo. However, it's waiverable at the S&TA level, so each dropzone is allowed to make their own rules for jumpers who are off student status but don't have a license yet if they so choose and have a waiver on file.

yes, we still have to do the written "A" test. Dunno about any of the other license requirements (B, C, or D).
I try to see it this way: the more training I get, the better I get, and the more safe I'll be in the air. The more that is demanded of me in training, the more I will know I can perform on my own. The harder they are on me, the easier I will have it later. The more expensive it is now, the less expensive it will be later (something doesn't seem right with that last thought, though....)
ciel bleu -
Michele

There is no longer an A license test. I have the license to prove it too. unless your DZ is using the old BSR's for some of there req's but the new one for others. On the new application they require you to have 2 RW dives with an approved coach, instructor, or jumpmaster....
marc

I agree Michele...thus we did coaching dives all weekend. I'll take all the advice and help I can get. I hurt all over and it it 2:30 here so I could use some sleep if I could wind down!!! Doubtful since I had such a good weekend I hate to make it end.

For budgeting purposes I'd find out how much additional coaching beyond AFF will be. You never know what you'll need extra help with (stability, canopy control, etc). And you don't want to be stuck being done AFF but not enough money for additional coaching when you need it. Then you're left with the choice of not jumping, or jumping solo without full confidence in your abilities.
cielos azules y cerveza fría
-Kevin