Jumperpaula

I need some advice, please.

I need some advice.
I live in Houston and in August 1998 I attended the annual Balunar Festival and NASA open house. I saw SKYDIVERS.
I started jumping and every year since then I have had a sideline seat during the event and watched the Balloons, Paraplanes, Hang Gliders, and Jumps…waiting for the day I could jump into NASA.
Fully licensed, I got my invitation this year. But…..
The Demo is a 30 way competition with 3 teams- and I don’t have much experience with Big Ways.
I have 3 years in the sport 320 jumps; all RW and I enjoy 4-8 way. My largest formation was a couple of 16-ways with a well-known organizer. (I pulled off because I felt “in over my head”. Several were cut). I have many 9-15 ways under my belt, but I don’t really prefer them.
My concern is that without the experience, I may go low at lower freefall speeds, I could create traffic in the flight pattern, there is much more congestion on breakoff, and lots of canopies in the air. Plus, it’s my first real Demo.
I want this REALLY BAD, but the conservative side of me says wait another year. What would you do?

jumping in larger formations is all about discipline. Fly to the formation, fly your slot, track away at the assigned altitude and pull at the assigned altitude. You can always wear a bigger suit. Also make sure your track is good (flat). This will give you the maximum separation on opening. 30 canopies in not too many, but that depends on the landing area. If it is large enough, you will not find the airspace too congested. Remember that deployment altitudes are staggered, so not everyone is getting to the ground at the same time.

Hey! Paula! You made it over here! Good to see ya!
This board is a little more "lively" and everybody is extremely helpful. Look forward to more posts from you!
Sorry, can't help you on the big way stuff. My biggest is a 10-way. Plus you have just a few more jumps than me so far be it for me to offer "advice" (not that I have any on the subject anyway, other than stay calm). :P
------------
Blue Skies!
Zennie

Agreed on the discipline...
If you've been in the air with 15 people and did an OK job, then going to 30 would be a step up, but not too steep a step (only you and people who know how well you fly your body and your canopy know...). If you do go low, fight it as much and as hard as you can, until break-off if you have to... this way you will stay close to the formation.
As Axe said: Track flat.... and long (if your on the outside)...
On the 30 and 40 ways I've been, the deployments were not staged: break-offs were, but pull altitude was always in the 2500 range.
The only question mark I have is the Demo issue: dont you have to have a PRO rating in the US to do a demo?
Edited by remiandkaren on 7/6/01 07:37 AM.

I guess I was on 50 and 60 ways and the deployments were at different altitudes - the outside was pulling at 2 and the inside ring at 2,500, plus the base was deploying from 5,500 to 2,000. But with only 30 people deployment might be at the same general altitude. On the issue of demos, you need a D license for any open field demo (sizes 500 by 500 meters).

OK, I checked with the SIM, and here's what it says for demo jumps. For an open field or "level I" area, must have a D license, 50 jumps on the same canopy in the last 12 months, and 5 jumps in the previous 60 days. For a "level II" area or a stadium, must have a USPA PRO rating, 50 jumps on the same canopy in the last 12 months, and 5 jumps in the previous 60 days.
Hackey

I know this is getting off-subject, but....
200 jumps? I AM surprised... In Canada, its 500 (last time I ckecked), and in the UK, its now 1000!!! I'm doomed never to get my D... when I get to 1000, I'll probably move to a country where its a 5000 req!!!
Who said you dont learn anything on the internet!!! lol

200 jumps? I AM surprised... In Canada, its 500 (last time I ckecked), and in the UK, its now 1000!!! I'm doomed never to get my D... when I get to 1000, I'll probably move to a country where its a 5000 req!!!

Really? I thought the UK had an E&F license at 500 and 1000 instead of moving the D requirements up. Or am I thinking of Australia?
I (personally) yhink you'd be ok on the 30-way so long as you, and more importantly the load-organizer, takes your experience into consideration. Talk to him/her and make sure they're aware about your inexperience and concerns. If he/she seems to think you'll be ok and recommends things to help you out, such as having you fly in the base, you should be good to go. If you don't feel comfortable with what the organizer suggests, then by all means tell them no thanks.

I'm with Grogs. Be honest about your experience and concerns with the organizers, then follow their advice. If you get into it and still feel uncomfortable let them know and pull yourslef off. That is why they have alturnates. By being honest with them up-front they will know you are interested and want to be a part of the team even if you wait it out a year.
Best of luck and let us know what you do.

Some very good advice and friendly people. Thanks Everyone!
I've decided to go ahead and turn in my registration. This will reserve my slot. I have 6 weeks, so I will talk to my load organizer at the ole Home DZ,(he is very familiar with my skills)and try to jump some bigger ways till then. The landing area is HUGE and the jumps are from a CASA. I have about 50 CASA jumps, so that's a plus too.
Our boys just got back from TeXXas 20 way, so it's a good time to ask for some coaching on bigger stuff.
Thanks Again for the words of wisdom.