Snowflake

The Perris buttslide

I was out at Perris Saturday and I had a great time. I got to meet sinister69, unfortunatly I didn't get to meet anyone else and didn't get to hang around long enough to jump with sinister after he got his A. I'll be back though. My question is what is the purpose of the butt slide people were doing on landing? is this some new form of swooping that is getting ready to sweep the nation? someone please enlighten me
"......and then the canopy opens and you float to the ground like a multicolored snowflake"
JG

You laughing at the butt slide?? ;)
Generally it's used by tandems and by those who haven't quite gotten the hang of flaring or those who don't want to/can't run out the excess speed.
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I am a nobody.
Nobody's perfect.
Therefore, I am perfect!

Can be safer than a PLF sometimes, kingy... The trick is to not bust an ankle or land hard on your tailbone (I know all about that one...). Slide on the heels until most of the speed is bled off, then ease on down to the butt. Works best if you are landing on grass, can be "uncomfortable" if you're landing on hard dirt.
pull and flare,
lisa
----
I am a nobody.
Nobody's perfect.
Therefore, I am perfect!

I agree with the tailbone issue. Glad to know those on the other side of the continent know the same slide. You still must flare which was a difficult skill to master for some of us. If you can flare just go ahead and stand it up as Danny Page always told me....yeah right!

I think that it will work with a larger canopy that doesn't swoop that well. I have see a few people do it on purpose I did it once on accident then flared all the way to stand it up. Stay longer next time Snowflake we need mor efriends to jump with.
Ready, Set, GOOOOOOO
Albatross