aguila

tension knot malfunction: picture

Hey,

Looks a lot like my first mal...cept' mine was on the left hand side. This one appears to be with the A and/or B lines. I would guess mine was on the B and/or C lines.

Question: Was this you, and if it was, did you chop it or were you able to recover? Also, what canopy/loading?

Thanks

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Question: Was this you, and if it was, did you chop it or were you able to recover? Also, what canopy/loading?

Thanks

Chris

It was me. My canopy was a DCM 280, wing load 0.8 I guess (it was long ago).

There was a knot in my right brake line and the slider got stuck there. It took me 7 seconds to clear it. Fortunately I opened high because I had not jumped that canopy :)

Could you clear yours?
Gonzalo

It cannot be done really means I do not know how to do it ... yet

Are you sure that's a tension knot, and what makes you think it is?

Basically, the slider got stuck halfway and I saw a little bulk just under the right rear grommet. Then I pulled and quickly released both steering lines several times, the slider went down, the right cells inflated and that was all. Unfortunately the picture quality is not good enough to show the little bulk under the grommet.
Gonzalo

It was me. My canopy was a DCM 280, wing load 0.8 I guess (it was long ago).

There was a knot in my right brake line and the slider got stuck there. It took me 7 seconds to clear it. Fortunately I opened high because I had not jumped that canopy :)

Could you clear yours?

Hey,

Unfortunately I was not able to clear mine. I pulled high as it was a coach jump and I wanted the deployment on video. Dumped at 4k, open by 3400 under a Sabre2 150. The whole leftmost cell was collapsed under the second cell in. The difference was that my slider was down, my tension knot was right at the canopy. I saw the B or C line slider stop wrapped around the B line one cell in. I tried to get it out from 3400 to 2700 and decided to chop. Landed uneventful, everything was fine.

Dumped at 4k, open by 3400 under a Sabre2 150. The whole leftmost cell was collapsed under the second cell in. The difference was that my slider was down, my tension knot was right at the canopy. I saw the B or C line slider stop wrapped around the B line one cell in. I tried to get it out from 3400 to 2700 and decided to chop. Landed uneventful, everything was fine.

Glad to know you chopped and are ok :)
Gonzalo

Hey,

Actually, I was really glad for the experience. During opening it dove left and was turning during the whole opening. I thought it was just opening off heading. At one point...I though hmmm, never seen it turn that much before. Still wasn't worried. Once it was fully inflated it had a slow left turn. I was loading the canopy at about .9. I saw the end cell was closed so I did my checks and did what I was told to do to get rid of end cell closure...flare. Bad idea...The second I released the toggles....spineroo! It started spinning pretty good, I pulled the right toggle to my hip and the spin was mostly stopped. I took the time to jerk the risers and brakes. Both toggles were released but after multiple attempts I couldn't get it undone. I took a deep breath, pulled the right toggle to slow the spin, released it, chop, reserve. Kept both handles, in my hands, the whole way down. I laughed after I landed because I realized how long it took me to realize how to steer my reserve with handles in my hands. Needless to say, I used a thumb and pointer finger. As for what caused it...can't say for sure, most likely packing error as it was a brand new PD canopy (20 jumps) and I was fairly inexperienced, but it could also be attributed to pure "luck".

The reason I was glad it happened that way is because it wasn't a violent mal, I pulled with plenty of altitude, and surprisingly I wasn't scared. I was doing something stupid, but I considered landing the canopy in that configuration. It was a borrowed canopy and I felt like crap for chopping it. It probably would have gotten me to the ground without chopping, but I also probably would have broken both my legs on impact. I took the "safer" method. I was very calm. The fear struck me about an hour after the jump when the endorphines slowed...

Maybe it hit me harder because my cameraman also broke his femur on the same jump...

Either way, didn't deter me one bit, that was 25ish jumps ago.

Later

Chris

Are you sure that's a tension knot, and what makes you think it is?

Basically, the slider got stuck halfway and I saw a little bulk just under the right rear grommet. Then I pulled and quickly released both steering lines several times, the slider went down, the right cells inflated and that was all. Unfortunately the picture quality is not good enough to show the little bulk under the grommet.

What you have that I can see is a hung slider and end cell closure. The end cell closure would not be caused by a tension knot on the steering line, either.

I'm assuming what you mean by "released both steering lines several times" is that you pumped the brakes...which is exactly what you want to do if you have a hung slider and/or end cell closure.

You were the one under the canopy though, so even though the picture does not show a tension knot maybe there was something there... I would venture to say though that what you had was not a tension knot malfunction, but the inconvenience of a hung slider and end cell closure that you properly handled.

But hey, what do I know...;)
Miami

If you look closely at the right steering line there is evidence of severe twists in it.
Straighten those fuckers out once a week.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

Certainly is, and good advice...a step further, straighten them out as often as necessary, even if that means after every jump. It does not appear to be contributing to the situation in the picture though...none of the other lines are knotted with, or at least show any characteristics of being knotted with, the steering line.
Miami

I was doing something stupid, but I considered landing the canopy in that configuration. It was a borrowed canopy and I felt like crap for chopping it. It probably would have gotten me to the ground without chopping, but I also probably would have broken both my legs on impact. I took the "safer" method. I was very calm. The fear struck me about an hour after the jump when the endorphines slowed...

Maybe it hit me harder because my cameraman also broke his femur on the same jump...

Hey! What an experience! It confirms the saying: When in doubt whip it out"

BTW, how did your cameraman brake his femur?
Gonzalo

You are right: I ment I pomped the brakes. Sorry :)
There are three cells involved, the slider is too high and the brake line is not even and has many twists.

They say you can land a canopy with the end cells closed but I would not have dared to land this canopy without clearing this malfunction first.

I uploaded two more pictures, one of the left side of the canopy to compare.
Gonzalo

The picture shows severely twisted steering lines on the left side. Untwist those puppies. Or just cutaway and don't worry. The ground will be there to break your fall.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

The picture shows severely twisted steering lines on the left side. Untwist those puppies. Or just cutaway and don't worry. The ground will be there to break your fall.

You are right. Both steering lines of the canopy with the malfunction are twisted. I uploaded here a picture of a good steering line.

I already replaced the bumpers :)
Gonzalo

Release brakes - steer - land - stow brakes. If they never leave your hands you physically can't get twists in your brake lines ever, (so long as you aren't inducing a twist during your release or stowing motion).

I simply don't understand why people will wander round trailing a toggle from the bundle of crap they just created for themselves. A little bit of care will solve a whole load of problems.