NathanL100

AFF Level 1 Cleared, Level 2 Blown Out!

First off I would like to thank everyone who responded to my previous post. Next I would like to share with everyone my AFF level 1 experience. So Friday night I said farewell to my land loving friends and went to bed real early and when 5:30am rolled around the next morning I was hating life for two seconds until I realized I was going to Skydive Today! Yeah Baby!! Anyway... Two double lattes, two hrs of driving, and a close encounter with the Highway Patrol I finally made it to the DZ and made manifest for the first load! Then I waited and waited for the fog to clear, but I made good use of the time meeting people and drinking more coffee. I the thing that I found to be most surprising about my weekend was how receptive all the regulars and employees at my DZ are, I was able to walk up to almost anyone and have a totally cool conversation. I never felt like I was being shut out or cold shouldered by anyone, this is one of the only sports that I've participated in where no matter who you are or what you look like, no one judges you or won't talk to you because your a newbie. Anyway... somewhere around 12:30am I finally got to suit up. Right after I got my container on my stomach tied itself into a big fat knot (Fuck! Relax!!!!!!!!). My two JM's were really busy right up to my jump b/c one of them was the owner of the DZ and the other was a rigger, so I never got to go over my jump with them or even get to know them a little, but on the ride up to altitude the rigger was totally cool, he asked me stupid questions to try and help me relax and he had me review my jump with him, which really helped to relieve the knot in my stomach. I think that my biggest fear was that I would freeze up in the door, but when the time came for me to get into the door I was so focused I didn't even have time to freak out (Yeah!!). My exit was great, but my JM's kind of screwed up (I was told afterward) the lighter, thinner JM should have been behind me or on my left and the bigger, heavier JM should have been in front of me or on my right, but they forgot or something and switched sides. So when we exited the heavy guy pulled us down to the left more than we should have and as we hit the prop blast it pushed the lighter JM up and back and so we flipped upside down!!! I thought it was awesome; I got to see the plane flying away from me and one of the other students do their exit!! So we flipped back over and I checked my alti. and checked in with my JM's. I got the ok from them so I proceeded to do my three touches, arch reach touch, arch reach touch, etc... After that I checked my alti and we were at 8000 so I relaxed a little to much and so I got the legs out signal which I corrected and when 6000 rolled by I glued my eyes on my alti and at 5500 arch, reach, pull, check left, check right. My chute opened perfectly, but I had four freaking line twists, so I grabbed the risers and spread them apart with all my strength and started kicking. After a few moments of kicking and twisting and cursing I spun out of my twists. I did my control check and then I flew down to the playground and did a few turns and at 1000 I started to line up for my landing. My landing was the best I could have hoped for, I landed in the drop zone I stood up the landing and my chute didn't try to drag me on ass. Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!! Sadly right after my jump the winds came up and my level two was blown out!! That was my awesome weekend!!!! I'm HOOKED, I can't wait until next Saturday!!!
Newly Addicted
Nate-

Nate,
let me be the first one on here to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
its an awesome life huh? one day, when youve been in the sport a few months, youre going to sit down with a good friend and have a conversation about how you got into the sport... its at that moment that youll realize what a completely different lifestyle you live now, and how its the most amazing thing that has ever happened to you...
the wait is worth it, the conversation is worth it. (sorry, had a real sentimental moment with a good friend tonight, we did a lot of 'serious' talking and im still reeling in it..)
kel

Everyone say hello to Nate he is an Addict just like us!!! :)dude your gonna love this sport the social aspect of it is what makes it so cool for me also that i get to fulfull a child hood dream of flying without the aid of a plane.........well other than the hole jumping out of it thing!!! :)Remember when Sex was safe and skydiving was Dangerous?

Big Nate!! Thats awesome you had such a cool jump:D That jump will stay w/ you forever!! over a year in this sport and it still feels like my 1st jump was yesterday. Congrats!!
CHris
"..and your hands and knees felt cold and wet on the grass beneth." - modest mouse