Slappie

Skydive Dallas

I was going to sit around the house all weekend and pout because I wasn't able to go to Spaceland Skydive in Houston, because of the bad rainy weather. So I was logged on here Dropzone.com reading different forums and ran across where freaksis was going to be at Skydive Dallas. I thought.. hmmmm maybe I can get some sunshine and maybe jump some anyways. It's only 4 or 5 hours north of me and the weather was going to be good. So about 5pm Friday night I decided "What the hell I'm going" I packed up and grab the "whuffo gf" and hit the highway! We arrived at the DZ about 1am set up camp and crashed! Got up very early, noticed I was the only tent. Got a bit nervous being at a new DZ and still being very new to the sport and stuff. Anyways I went in and met up with Bill {tandem instructor}. Very nice a friendly guy. He pointed out the coffee and gave me a tour of the place. We talked for about an hour and the rest of the staff started showing up. Everyone I met was very nice and seemed very glad to meet me. I was impressed with the facilities and the regular jumpers and staff.
Later that morning freaksis called and said she was about 30 miles out. [ She was suposed to meet me at the DZ Friday night] So I was alittle happier then I was going to "kinda" know someone else. :)I was disapointed I could make any jumps in SDD but I knew it was a long shot in the first place. I talked to the head JM and he told me he would let me jump as a student at student prices. I decided it would be better for me to just be a *clearing throat" "Whuffo" for the weekend and sit and watch. Saturday the weather didn't start to cooperate till mid afternoon. Got to see a couple of Skydivers do a Hop-n-Pop on PC's [para-commanders] was very interesting. They were even able to STAND them in the peas!! I was very excited and impressed. Then I was able to see freaksis do a jump on the sunset load. She has great canopy control and her landings though not pretty do get the job done. :)
Sunday, woke up early.. Was going to be a long day as we had a pig roast and lua that evening. Had a small weather hold in the morning. Cleared early afternoon, then it was on and none stop till the sunset load. Sis did two jumps. One she landed with out a step!! I jumped and screamed for her! She was on a 4-way. Went well from what I was told even though she wound up in slot upside down :P I never saw the video but I think they funneled it!! Her second jump the wind sock showed no wind at all on her patern. I was a bit nervous for her becaue of the wind! I watched her coming in really fast!! She flared at the right time and everything but she never slowed down!! Can you say PLF? :)Got up a bit late on Sunday. Packed up the tent and got ready to leave. Had an idea that if the weather was perfect at this DZ it just might be my luck that my DZ was under blue skies!! Said good bye to everyone I had met and promised to come back when I had my A. Tried to find Sis before I left to say bye but she might have been "busy" somewhere else :P woke jessica up and said bye then hit the highway! Drove like a maniac trying to get back to Houston and my DZ to make a jump or two! Got into Houston about 2'ish and was able to get to the DZ in the sunshine!! Mind you they had not even pulled the Otter out of the hanger since last Sunday. I was able to make 2 fantastic jumps! Sit-Fly exits and B-rolls with a couple of F & B Flips!! I aced them both! Stood up the first landing in the "swamp" the water was at least 3 inches deep all over the landing area. I didn't care I had gotten my "knees in the breeze" Got cross wind on the second landing and fell over on my left side. Got soaked! I still didn't care I was one jump closer to getting off student status.. :)Drove home that night with a huge smile:)
My New Website with 24hr Chat

Oh, you are a sweetie too! ;)
It was great meeting you, and I'm sorry you didn't get to jump. Happy to hear you made it to Houston in time to take an air bath, though.
God, that was some party. I wonder if I'll ever get too old for keggers. I hope not.
I'm moving to San Antonio in two weeks -- I'll be sure to hit up Spaceland soon after! :)

Hiya Dever! Yup, I'm moving to San Antonio. I got an offer from the Express-News that was pretty good, and I took it. I've lived in the Dallas area for my whole life and I'm ready to try something different.
You and Goat have to come visit me! I'm hoping to get a loft in the arts district down there, and Skydive San Marcos is really freefly friendly. You should check it out. I'm VERY excited. My only regrets are leaving behind my friends, family, and SDD. I adore that place.

Hey slappie! Sorry I missed saying goodbye to you...yeah, I was sort of...out of pocket at the time! hehe...I wondered if you tried waking me up in my tent...didn't work since I wasn't there! hehe
That party was MASSIVE. I won't even go into details about what I consumed, inhaled or uh, yeah...I passed out at 4:30 and didn't get up until 11:30...you guys were already gone!
Thanks for the compliments, you are a sweetie yourself! I can't wait for you to come back and make some jumps with me!
Hugs,
Sis
I lust for the ultimate rush...

Well Jess - that's sounds great! We'll definitely come visit! I haven't lived in Dallas my whole life (thank God) but I have been here too long - I'm glad you're getting to experience something new. I'll be moving in the near future myself. Vancouver - here I come! I love that place - I felt totally at home there - and my new company has an office there - so that should make it pretty easy.
I love new adventures ;)

Slappie,
Good deal dude, SDD is pretty cool.
Glad you got to make some jumps at Spaceland too. Good thing you missed the first couple of takeoffs that morning, they were scary (thick mud long trip down the runway to the telphone poles :D).
How many jumps till your off student status?
bloo ones
ramon