freeflir29

Cloud Jumping

I used to like going through cl... industrial haze... until I realized something. You can't see above or below, which means you don't know if you're heading for someone dumping below you or dumping into someone above you.
But even if you're under canopy in a clo...industrial haze... then you have to worry about colliding with someone else under canopy because it's impossible to see someone else until they're right on top of you.

I agree 100% Zen. Dancing on the cloud edges while under canopy can be fun and a thin layer in free fall is fun too, but to come out of a cloud at 3000 ft and realize there is someone opening right under you or or beside you and still having to track some more......I say if you are going to play, play safe.
Tee :)

<>
Don't be the moron who lands in a tree with 2 out because he/she was afraid to open in a cloud, and sucked it down to cypres territory.
If you make the decision to jump in questionable cloud cover, accept the consequences, stay altitude aware, and deploy at a safe altitude.
Sure, if the bottoms are between 3000 and 3500 feet it makes sense get clear before you deploy. Its a different story when the bottoms are at 1000 feet. (And, yes, it happens. Weather can move in pretty quickly and take you by surprise.)
To every rule there is an exception......

Hi all--my 1st post
I can't resist. This was the coolest jump in my short 19-jump career! My 3rd solo--out of a Twin Otter. I followed another solo jumper; saw him about 500 feet below me disappear into a solid bank of "haze". No time to be worried, quick alti check (11,000) and I, too, get sucked into the huge cottonball. After, what seemed like ages I see the ground. Quick alti check (10,000). WOW!!! That was wild. The rest of the jump went fine, but how many people have ever had THAT experience.
BTW--2nd place jump goes to my 4th solo--out the back of a CASA with flaps not working, translation: FAST exit with lots of tumbling and WHAT a takeoff (sat next to the tailgate door)!!
Too bad I didn't have any skydiving buds to share the thrill with as I'd just graduated from AFF and wasn't part of the "in" crowd. My whuffo friends/family wouldn't--still don't--even understand
"That which does not kill me makes me stronger."--Nietzsche
Bruce
"That which does not kill me makes me stronger."--Nietzsche