mattskinner77

Suggestions for buying gear

I am new to the sport and have jumped mostly on a Sabre 2 and a Javelin container. I am looking at getting my own gear but would like input from those that have been around for a while. Any recommendations on what I should go with for a main and container. Should I just stick with a Sabre 2?

mattskinner77

I am new to the sport and have jumped mostly on a Sabre 2 and a Javelin container. I am looking at getting my own gear but would like input from those that have been around for a while. Any recommendations on what I should go with for a main and container. Should I just stick with a Sabre 2?

The 4 canopy types that come up over and over again in recommendations for new jumpers on these forums are Sabre2, Safire2, Pilot and Pulse.

Besides that, you've asked a very broad and unfocussed question. Every container on the market has merits and none of them seem to be causing an enormous number of accidents. If you want a new, custom-made container for cheap, the Shadow Racer 2K3 and the Rigging Innovations Genera can both be had for about $1,500. These are basic entry-level containers with no/few options and are priced accordingly.

If you want to stick with Javelin like you're familiar with, they have stock containers that they'll add a custom harness to and have it delivered in a very short time.

Most people on here will advise that you buy used for your first rig, though.

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

Very common question. My suggestions:

Pick a reserve size. This should be conservative. Discuss this with your instructors, S&T A, and other experienced jumpers who's judgement you trust. Actual reserve type isn't that big of a deal. Modern reserves are all pretty similar.

Pick your main size. Brian Germain's chart is a good place to start. Again, conservative is a good idea. You aren't "special" or a "fast learner" or anything like that. A lot of people thought they were. Many of them aren't with us any more.
For a canopy type, Sabre2 is nice. But so is a Pilot, Safire or Pulse. Even some of the older stuff isn't too bad. An original Sabre can be a good first canopy, but they have a reputation for opening hard. Triathlon, Silhouette, and a few others are also good. Stay away from a fully ellliptical (Stilletto, Crossfire, ect).

Find a container that fits the reserve and main sizes you've picked. Javelins are nice. But so are Vectors, Wings, Infinities, Talons, Racers and all the rest.
I would strongly suggest used. Unless you are a very odd size, you can find used out there. Put the word out at your DZ, look on the classifieds here, look on Facebook. Used will save you some money, and if/when you decide to downsize, you can usually recover most of the purchase price when you sell it. Also, as a newer jumper, you have a pretty good chance of scuffing it up some learning how to land well.

You may find a complete rig, you may have to piece it together. Again, talking with experienced jumpers/riggers/instructors is a good idea.

There are several large gear shops that sell used -SquareOne, Chutingstar, and others. There are a lot of smaller shops and small dealers that may have what you want. Most of them have solid reputations and can be trusted.
Buying from individual sellers through the classifieds is doable, but has pitfalls. A proper inspection is vital. If the seller won't allow it, walk away.
Search "rigger as escrow" for a lot more info on this process.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I would strongly suggest used. Unless you are a very odd size, you can find used out there.

But be aware if you are a very odd size and you buy new, expect it to be hard to then later sell your very odd size rig should you want to move on from it.