msdeva

ALABAMA DZs - help

Well.....in most of Alabama all you will find are Cessna DZ's. I think Chuck's Dad's DZ is fairly close to Birmingham. 2 hrs or less. It's in the Auburn/Opeleika area. Skydive Opeleika is the name I believe. PM Chuck......He's the officianado on Alabama Skydiving. Whatever you do don't fall for anything remotely associated with the letters ASC. No matter where they claim the DZ is it's really in Northeast Georgia.
"There once was a man named Enis.....B|"-Krusty the Clown
Clay

Clay is right on the money, Deva...talk to Chuck!
Deva was a hottie this weekend ya'll!! ;)
We didn't play twister, but I don't think anyone could have handled it after all the hormones going at the party Saturday night!! What a blast!
Sis
Music should trigger some kind of response... - The Chemical Brothers

Alabama DZs don't bash each other. They do, however, have a collective case of heartburn about the advertising practices of the DZ in Cedartown GA.
Near Birmingham: Alabama Skydiving, Inc is in Pell City. I believe they are the closest to Birmingham. Last I heard they operate 2 Cessnas.
Opeleika Skydiving Association - I haven't been there but I have always heard good things about them. I don't know what they fly.
Skydive Alabama is in Cullman - about an hours drive. They have a Cessna and are getting a Beech 99 (kind of a bigger King Air) sometime in November.
Any other dzs you may have heard of, Skydive Huntsville, Skydive Birmingham, Skydive Montgomery, Alabama Skydiving Center, are alternate names for Atlanta Skydiving Center. They are 2+ hours away from Birmingham, 2 1/2 hours from Huntsville. That's how long it took me to drive it.
They are currently using Mullins' King Air but that ends in Dec when Mullins goes to Arizona. Don't know what they will use after that.
-Sandy

"They do, however, have a collective case of heartburn about the advertising practices of the DZ in Cedartown GA."
Don't want to do any DZ bashing but if you haven't read the article in "Skydiving" magazine on this subject, go find it!
"There once was a man named Enis.....B|"-Krusty the Clown
Clay

I went through the IAF progression at ASC and I had to discuss my thoughts. This dz has good gear, good Instructors, good video / camera equipment and jumpers, etc. The heart of the organization is the Mullins Boyz. I know they were raised as skydivers and that is what they do year around. They have the Mullins King Air whenever I have been there. I have also jumped from a Skyvan and Grand Caravan. There are Skygods there who believe they are above everyone else. Ben Butler and Cary Quattarochi believe they they have super human powers. I have been there a few times but this is what I see. I do not care how many jumps someone has or how good you are. We are all equal. Justin Silva (Tandem Master) and Mike Gruwell (Instructor and Mr. Pink Team Member) have my thoughts as well. Hans Paulsen (Swoop Competitor) will not admit it but he hates the political bullshit.