skytribe

PD Reserve

Did you know that PD reserves used to only have 39 boxes, and the label used to say to mark it every time the reserve is RE-packed?

Adding fuel to the fire: my PDR manual reads "each time the parachute is inspected and packed"

Left hand, meet Right.
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

NovaTTT

Did you know that PD reserves used to only have 39 boxes, and the label used to say to mark it every time the reserve is RE-packed?

Adding fuel to the fire: my PDR manual reads "each time the parachute is inspected and packed"

Left hand, meet Right.

more fuel:

I just re-read that part of the manual because of this thread. There's a discrepancy 2 paragraphs down... it says "After 40 repacks or 25 deployments have been reached, the reserve must have its permeability tested"

Going by the instructions, there is no open box for that 41st pack job, aka 40th repack.

And really, how do they expect that sentence to be interpreted? As soon as the 40th repack is completed, or "reached", then it must go in for testing? But I just packed it!

skytribe

Last week I repacked an almost-new rig. It'd been assembled , packed, and sealed at the container manufacturer's loft. All boxes were blank on the PD reserve when I opened it. I'm not sure why people don't mark the boxes, but it seems very common

I see this a either

a. Being lazy
b. Being dishonest (and allowing the owner to mask the true history of the canopy upon resale)
c. Paper packing reserves (possible taking monies and not doing the work)
d. Being incompetent and not following manufacturers instructions.

The manufacturer wants this recorded so that when conditions are met the canopy can be tested and re-certified. This provides them with useful data on used or long time reserves. How can this reflect reality when riggers chose to ignore.

I don't disagree with you but...
If I was the manufactor (PD) then I would not take that data as fact. I would probably not care at all about that fact as it rely on others.
If I wanted data I would get it from people I trust.
And as far as I know, some of the workers at PD do jump and they have a quite good team they can use.

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of geting data, but you need to verify it or it's useless.

So why bother having the panel and requirements if riggers simply chose not to use it. I'm not saying its foolproof but marking a box is not exactly rocket science either.

And where do you draw the line on what manufacturer requirements/instructions to follow or not ?

Still haven't heard any real benefits for NOT doing what is required and marking the panel.

My belief is the items B and C are the main reasons for a panel not being marked.

Then they've changed it. I was just told last week by sandy at pd over the phone that it's 40 repacks or 18 jumps, it must be sent back for inspection and permeability testing.

Single slash for a pack and an x for a deployment.
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

Exactly - and how are we meant to determine these figures accurately if there is no history trail or it is being deliberately obscured by rigger actions of not marking the data panel.

While I can believe that cards may be lost/mislaid as gear is split out and sold, the data panel I believe is intended to be the definitive record as it stays with the canopy.

Alexg3265

Then they've changed it. I was just told last week by sandy at pd over the phone that it's 40 repacks or 18 jumps, it must be sent back for inspection and permeability testing.

Single slash for a pack and an x for a deployment.

I'm going by the text in PD's reserve manual (page 3):
http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Reserve_manual.pdf

Those boxes make it pretty obvious how many pack jobs should be done before sending the canopy in, I was just poking fun at the literal interpretations of the instructions