PalmettoTiger

I got my babyback babyback babyback...

Drove down to X-Keys today to pick up my rig; I left it there over the holiday break to get a new reserve packed in. I LOVE HAVING MY PARACHUTE BACK!! I want to hug her and squeeze her and take care of her so she'll be nice to me when pull time comes...
I tried it on to make sure it still fit and everything, since the new reserve and the old main together are pushing the upper limits of the compatibility chart. The legs straps were tougher to get on, since the rig isn't quite as flexible as it used to be - has anyone ever had their leg straps lengthened? Did it have any adverse effects? Also, I misrouted my chest strap. Twice. Fook me, that was scary, not to mention embarassing. It's been a few months since I last geared up and jumped, but I hope I won't have to go through groundschool again once the weather improves!!
PTiger

Uhhh.....I'm no rigger but I think you would have to replace that entire portion of the harness to get longer leg straps. Which I'm sure means at least a Master Rigger but probably easier to just send it to the manufacturer. But....I could be wrong....What do i know.....:)"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

Unless your rig has hip rings, then its going to be either expensive or end up ugly. I had to 'extend' a leg strap after some paramedics cut one of my straps, and the rig just never felt the same again. Try posting on the rigging forum for advice. IMHO, its not worth it.
As for misrouting the chest strap, get one of your pals to give you a kit check prior to enplaning, this is normally a requirement in the UK, there is no shame in it, and it might just save your life.
Stay safe man
D

As for misrouting the chest strap, get one of your pals to give you a kit check prior to enplaning, this is normally a requirement in the UK, there is no shame in it, and it might just save your life.

Hell yeah, I always give myself a check before I get in the plane and get one from someone else too. Maybe I should be getting two from other people though...
PTiger

Also, I misrouted my chest strap. Twice.

Damn, dude....you need to develop a "system" for your gear checks.. Don't COUNT on anybody else.......it's YOUR life.. Here's what I do......the 3-3-3 check, at least 3 times.. 1) check the 3 rings(properly assembled, cables through retaining loop and into fabric channel on the risers), 2) 3 handles(reserve, cutaway, hackey) in place, secure, and accessible, and last, but certainly not least, 3) 3 straps attached, properly threaded, and pull tested(PULL on each strap and make SURE that it does not loosen when you do! PULL HARD!)..
Mike

Damn, dude....you need to develop a "system" for your gear checks..

I've got one, it includes having someone else hold onto my chest strap while I lean back, even before I get on the plane. Thankfully today I wasn't jumping, just pulling the rig on to make sure it fit okay with the larger reserve. Rest assured that when I do jump, I'm doing a full check as per my usual, just like the one you described.
PTiger