Slowfaller

Driving to work ponder

I was driving to work this morning and saw a truck with the question " Do you have your seatbelt on?" written on the back. I began thinking how whuffos conceive us as being crazy, flirting w/ suicide idiots, who problably don't wear our seatbelts, when in fact were very safe and don't want our next skydive to be our last.
I always wear my seatbelt because I don't want some dumbass picking his nose to slam into my deathbox (Honda CRX SI) and then I'll never beable to jump again because I wasn't wearing my seatbelt. So do you wear your seatbelt? Any thoughts?
CHris

I feel very uncomforable if forget to put my seatbelt on. And thus I rarely forget. I wasn't really raised to do it, but all my cars have had automatic seatbelts, and I have just gotten used to it. Now I don't feel right if I don't have one on.
In a plane, I tend to take my seatbelt off a lot, though. ;)
"Can't keep my mind from the circling sky. Tongue-tied & twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Depends on the driver. Some will insist, some will frown.

Screw the ones who frown. That is my clue to get right out of the vehicle. Them not wearing one is their choice, but any rational person should have no objection to another person choosing to do so. I don't want to be in the position have saying, "I told you so" as they bleed to death in an accident I easily survive.
Justin

Always....for three reasons...
1. at 14 I lost some teeth in a car accident. (Yes...I got them replaced Justin)
2. I drove so fast aas a teenager that's the only way you could stay in your seat.
3. When I started flying I got to liking the "secure" feeling of being strapped in.
Plus....You're just stupid if you don't wear one.....Natural selection is a good thing though
"I got some beers....Let's Drink em!!!"
Clay

"Natural selection is a good thing though"
Yeah, but it seems that the person "selected" shoulda been the one that wasnt. For example, I lost a friend in a DWI car vs. motorcycle accident. Drunk driver (in car) lived, friend (on motorcycle) died almost instantly. Oh well, I guess life sucks like that sometimes....

Feel safer in a plane with a rig, than on the road tough. Is That Normal?

Yes!! I hate that drive to the DZ because its all contry roads and trucks drive like they did in Pet Cemetary. Much safer feeling in the air knowing I have ultimate control of the outcome. Most of the time anyway.
CHris

So if the person thats driving doesn't insist that you wear your seatbelt as a pasenger you dont?

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on distance, traffic, driving style, what kind of road etc.
Anyhow, I never wear a seatbelt when I'm sitting in the back. Those belts are different from the ones in front and I just find them too annoyingly uncomfortable.
Alphons
http://www.liacs.nl/~avwerven

I always wear a seat belt and require my passangers to as well. Once I was in a rather nasty roll over accident, and had I not been wearing a seatbelt I would be dead. One time heading from my Mom's house to my Grandparents house my Mom asked for a ride (it was about 5 blocks). When she got in I told her to buckle up. She refused saying it was a short distance and didn't need one. I told her I wouldn't start the car if she weren't belted in. She said she would rather walk. I said "OK." So she did. :o She argued later that it was a short distance and I was just being unreasonably stubborn. A year or so later my Grandparents were driving a short distance through town and were involved in an accident. My Grandmother, not wearing a seat belt, put her face through the windshield and lost her hearing as a result. She was never the same.
Keith

I always wear my seat belt. I actually had my cousin want to hold her 1 month old baby in my car, on a rainy day even, instead of risking waking him to put him in the car seat. I refused to drive her unless she did. I won.
Here's my driving to work ponder..did you ever notice that when it's a pretty day outside, that more people drive below the speed limit? Argh, that happened today, and it was SO frustrating!
Andrea
The brave may not live forever, but the timid may not live at all.

"Remember...Most accidents occur within 5 miles of your home. So, I moved!!!! "
That would be home or work! Your comfortable in the areas you know, so your driving is more relaxed and you don't pay as much attention. I have been in 2 accidents, 1 within 2 miles from my house, and the other 4 blocks away from work. I alway wear my seatbelt. And I don't move the car till everyone in it has theirs on!
I am stubborn on my motorcycle too! not that there is a seatbelt! But I always good gear! And I insist that my passengers always wear protective clothing, helmet and gloves. Just safer that way!
Just because your used to somthing doesn't mean you should become careless. Murphy is out there, waiting!!!!!
-Jason