SpeedRacer

Cougar attack in Alberta, CA

Thats the first time I have ever heard of a wolf attacking a person. Was it diseased? We do have a few wolves in my area of Montana now. I have seen the tracks up in the passes. They are few and seem to stay in very remote places so far.
"It's the cans..they're defective. Stay away from the cans"-Steve Martin
Clay

I asked the old man once about the slug idea with a sawed-off shotgun (which would land one in the Federal slammer very quickly in Canada) for bear removal. He was of the opinion that the slugs were too close, especially at short range to kill the bear outright - that '00' Buck would be a better idea so to collapse both lungs at once - especially if your aim is off due to needing an underwear change. He and a friend got the idea to make a 'bear' gun by sawing down a DB 12 gauge and configuring it so that only 1 trigger was present to fire both barrels at once. He near took his shoulder off and pitched himself back a good 15 feet. *heh*
Then there was that story when he tried tripling the recommended powder load for this musket he had been given - took quite a while for his eyebrows to grow back (blew the thing clean in half) - or when he was patroling one of the highways in Newfoundland outside St.John's and came across a moose and tried his hand at hunting with a .38 service revolver - picture a RCMP squad car pull up to a butcher shop with a moose on the hood, out of season.

"He was of the opinion that the slugs were too close, especially at short range to kill the bear outright - that '00' Buck would be a better idea so to collapse both lungs at once"
All the people I know that live in Alaska swear by 12 Ga. alternating buckshot and slugs. The buckshot to kill him and the slug just so he knows he's been hit.
Clay

Getting back to mountain lion meat. I heard it is as good as the best pork roast you can find. A friend of mine's wife says it is her most favorite meat. I've never tried it. Most people in the olden days would throw it out, but from what I hear it is quality meat. I've tried bear cooked a variety of ways and even made into salomy, but I've never cared for it. Tastes real greasy and wild to me, but some people like it. maybe there's a good recipe for it out there. Where abouts in Montana is your house, Clay? I grew up in the Missoula area. Mostly south of Missoula down the Bitterroot. Many of my old friends still chase cats with hounds. In all the years I've hunted Montana I've only seen one Mountain Lion. He was sitting on top of a deer a friend of mine had wounded. He ran off and we missed a couple of shots at him running. Then the deer got up and we had to finish it off. I was a lot younger then. I usually don't shoot now unless I'm sure of my shot. This probably sounds like a war story, but it really happened that way. For me I'd stick with slugs over buckshot. I have carried OO buckshot in my shotgun, for bear protection in Alaska and Canada, but I think slugs will penetrate much deeper than buckshot. Penetration is very important on a big bear that has heavy bone and muscle to go through. Police use buckshot a lot. Seldom does a perpetrator go down and stay down when hit with it. At least that is what the research says that I read. I also read that even slugs may not penetrate enough on a big bear because they don't have enough powder behind such a heavy slug. A lot of people in bear country, up North, use 338's or similiar magnums. My 12 guage has about a 20 inch barrel on it. It goes across the border into Canada without any troubles at the check points. I guess there are a lot of opinions on the best gun for bear protection.

Clay,
I've spent a lot of time in that area. I think I answered your post earlier about Superior. There used to be a lot of elk up that way. I've heard there are now a bunch of wolves up Nine-Mile. I've never heard of a wolf attack as was mentioned in the earlier post. In fact I heard there has never been a documented account of this happening. I've always wondered why. Under the right conditions you'd think it could happen. If you get a chance you should come down the Bitterroot and jump at Stevensville. It's a small drop zone but lot's of good people there. It's probably the most beautiful place you can imagine to jump. The Bitterroot Selway Wilderness is on the west with some peaks that go over 9,000 ft. The D.Z. is around 3500 ft. so landings can be a little different than at Sea level. Just ask for Hod Sanders. He owns the place and has over 6,000 jumps. He was on a few world championship teams with B.J. Worth and was on the Navy Parachute team. I still own a log house and 17 acres a few miles from there.

"If you get a chance you should come down the Bitterroot and jump at Stevensville"
Ahhh...Haaa!!! One of my friends in Missoula had said he heard something about jumping in that area. He just couldn't remember where. I'll be sure to make it out there.
There's still quite a few elk around. One of the first years I bow hunted there I got about 40 yds from a Monster 6X6. I didn't get him but what an experience. Chased that damn thing for 3 days. There have been some wolves moving into the area. My neighbor and I saw some tracks in a pass not far from the Idaho border. I do wonder what they will do to the game population. There's so many cats there it's hard for me to believe that there is enough game for all. The average cat kills at least one deer a week if not more. Plus the wolves???
PS...The house is about 30 Ft from Lost Creek which is up Cedar Creek Rd out of Superior if you know where that is. If the trees weren't in the way you could catch cut throats right off the porch!
Clay