Spectrejumper

Love/Hate Relationship-without the Love!

Alright, maybe it's just me (it so often seems as though it is), but I have a love/hate relationship with my canopy. I love it in the air, but I hate it on the ground. Packing brand new ZP sucks!!! I just got my reserve repacked, so I had to pack my main this evening. But since it's the middle of winter in the frozen tundra of western NY, I haven't even gotten to jump my new toy yet! So thus far it's all hate and no love. :( I can't wait til Monday, when I finally get to jump. The weather forecast for Perris sounds good, so I should be able to get a bunch in. Only two more days of work, then I'm free!!!!:P
Mike D-23312
"It's such a shame to spend your time away like this...existing." JMH

Im in the same situation. New ZP, can not and have not jumped it yet due to weather.
I was shown a REALLY good tequnique to get it in the bag. It worked a treat (after a little swearing). Now I can pack it no worries (if a little slower than an older canopy).
Keep trying.

I've found that poking a few holes in the top skin on the canopy makes it a lot easier to pack.
When your rigger tells you a bad idea, just ignore him, and revel in the fact that you're smarter than he is.
Never argue with stupid people.They just drag you down 2 their level & beat you with experience

The best tool to make these holes is a paper punch. Place about 10 holes in each cell along the tail and another 10 about midway down the rib. For even better packing, place the holes on the bottom as well as the top skin. :P
FYI - Its been done before.... kinda infamous among riggers too. And yes, if you do this, you are smarter then your riggers. Do take a picture of your riggers face when you ask him to inspect the canopy at the next repack.
Murphy's Laws of Love - If the person isn't taken, there's a reason for that...

when i get really frustrated with a new canopy and can't seem to get it in the bag, i don't waste my time with that silly psycho pack--i simply put something in there that LOOKS like a main and jump my reserve!! he he he (hey, it sure beats punching holes in your canopy!)