katzas

Why ripcords on reserves?

Can anyone shed any light on why we still use ripcords to open a reserve container? I cut my teeth on ripcord opened mains waaay back when and can readily understand why the hand deployed pilot chute for a main is superior. But having said that, we still use ripcords for reserves. Why?

Spring-loaded pilot-chutes are not the most reliable way to deploy main canopies. If you are stable, main pilot-chutes often hesitate on your back. They fell out of fashion during the wing-wars of the late 1970s, when huge jump-suits caused huge burbles and too many pilot-chute hesitations.
The solution was to develop hand-deployed pilot-chutes that are tossed off to the SIDE of the burble. HD PCs deploy far more consistently.

The second round of the wing-wars now (since 2000) sees people jumping wing-suits so huge that one guy has survived landing a wing suit (without deploying a chute) ... and talk about holy huge burbles!!!!! Spring-loaded main PCs would never work consistently with large wing-suits.

Many DZs - and national organisations - insist on Automatic Activation Devices. All modern AADs require some kind of internal spring to start deployment.
While it might be possible to design an AAD around a mortar (ballistic recovery system) or slug gun (ejection seat) it would be expensive and dangerous to innocent bystanders when deployed on the ground.
When I get rich, I plan to develop an AAD based on the air-bags now installed in most cars. The gas-generating cartridge (out of the air-bag) will be installed in the pilot-chute and will propel the pilot-chute out to line-stretch. Try to picture a Vector 2 reserve pilot-chute with a bag case of flatulence!
Hah!
Hah!

Yup--I have firsthand knowledge of pilot chute hesitation. Jumping a Para Commander I pulled and expected to feel the familiar tug. Nothing. But I could feel something tapping my back. I looked over my shoulder and saw the pilot chute lying on my back flipping back and forth. A second later it caught air and took off for a normal deployment. No big deal--but a lesson learned. I just figured a reserve could be opened with a hand-deploy pilot chute just like the main--but I get the message with regard to an AAD deployment. You need something to drag the reserve out of the container if your AAD fires. Well, live and learn.

Setting the AAD issue aside. Where would you place the reserve PC so that it can be deployed ether before or after the main. Think about bridle and riser routing. It has been done by placing the reserve PC high on the shoulder or behind the neck. Not the most convenient location.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

Well--good question. Could you put a pouch like a BOC pouch on one side of the main canopy container? My first ram air rig had a pouch on the right leg strap but the bridle was exposed and held down by velcro. Never had a problem with it--and truth be told I liked that location better than the bottom of my container where I can't see it and it takes an awkward arm motion to reach it. How many vids of students have we all seen where the student is groping around trying to find the hackey? But I digress. That doesn't solve the AAD issue though because if the AAD fired and cut the loop the bridle is still attached to the pilot chute that is in the pouch. Not pretty.

Hi kat,

As mentioned above, the only ( known to me anyway ) rig that had a throwout reserve pilot chute was built in Australia.

The pouch was located just at the left shoulder with the handle just below the left shoulder. I used to have the manual for this rig but no longer.

One problem with any location other than near the front is if you should get one arm incapacitated then you may not be able to deploy the reserve.

JerryBaumchen

On the main tray, like a left sided BOC doesn't really work. Think about it. There is a loop formed by the risers/canopy all the way from the three rings down to the bottom of the rig. The reserve, at least in it's present location is with in that loop. You basically can't have any thing crossing that loop when the main lifts or vice versa when the reserve lift off your back. Same classic problem you run into when trying to build a tirsh rig.

There are possibly ways to build a container with a hand deploy reserve which could have an AAD. It would involve a multi path deployment system. Where basically the Free bag would be a part of the container. You throw the hand deploy and it releases and lifts the whole reserve tray, AAD, spring loaded PC and all. Alternatively The AAD cuts a loop opening the tray and lifts the inner bad to line stretch. It would be complicated. I think... I could do it.

Of course the obvious choice for a hand deploy reserve is to build a chest mount where neither canopy interferes with the other. Done that.

Or you could just stick with a rip cord which allows you to remotely activate the reserve from a very convenient handle on your chest.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

katzas

Can anyone shed any light on why we still use ripcords to open a reserve container? I cut my teeth on ripcord opened mains waaay back when and can readily understand why the hand deployed pilot chute for a main is superior. But having said that, we still use ripcords for reserves. Why?

Because of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset ?!
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi kat,

As mentioned above, the only ( known to me anyway ) rig that had a throwout reserve pilot chute was built in Australia.

The pouch was located just at the left shoulder with the handle just below the left shoulder. I used to have the manual for this rig but no longer.

One problem with any location other than near the front is if you should get one arm incapacitated then you may not be able to deploy the reserve.

JerryBaumchen

Yes, the Woomera's reserve ripcord is left-hand dominant, but you could still pull it with your right hand ... sort of like a lot of RSLs. You can pull a lot of RSLs with your opposite hand.

I have deployed both RWS and Strong tandem reserves (on the ground) merely by pulling on the RSL. I quit pulling RSLs after I kinked a few steel reserve ripcord cables. Since no strands were broken, I returned them to service, but they were not longer pretty.

Since the Woomera's reserve ripcord is inboard of the main risers, it does not matter whether the main is gone ... or still packed.

RiggerLee

On the main tray, like a left sided BOC doesn't really work. Think about it. There is a loop formed by the risers/canopy all the way from the three rings down to the bottom of the rig. The reserve, at least in it's present location is with in that loop. You basically can't have any thing crossing that loop when the main lifts or vice versa when the reserve lift off your back. Same classic problem you run into when trying to build a tirsh rig.

There are possibly ways to build a container with a hand deploy reserve which could have an AAD. It would involve a multi path deployment system. Where basically the Free bag would be a part of the container. You throw the hand deploy and it releases and lifts the whole reserve tray, AAD, spring loaded PC and all. Alternatively The AAD cuts a loop opening the tray and lifts the inner bad to line stretch. It would be complicated. I think... I could do it.

Of course the obvious choice for a hand deploy reserve is to build a chest mount where neither canopy interferes with the other. Done that.

Or you could just stick with a rip cord which allows you to remotely activate the reserve from a very convenient handle on your chest.

Lee

Next you are going to tell us to re-introduce pack-opening-bands ... to pull the reserve side flaps clear of the soft, reserve pilot-chute.
Hah!
Hah!

There have been some fatalities where the reserve did not open in time from a cypress fire. One theory is that the Pc is not launching when the cypress unit fires. The loop is not released from the top where all the flaps can just slip off the end of it as the PC pushes on the from bellow. In stead the cutter severs the loop deep within the pack job and the remnants of the loop caught on the end of the rip cord lock the flaps as the PC tries to push it's way through them The tail has to be pulled up through the pilot chute and run through all of the grommets like pulleys as the grommets spread. Depending on how deep the loop is cut this can cause significant hesitations in the PC clearing the flaps of the container or even locking it closed. Lot's of threads on this.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]

In the event of a high speed mal, bag lock for example. You would be pulling the ripcord. PC launch well when you pull the ripcord. And you're standing up so the PC is launching almost horizontally so it's actually in good air, no burble hesitation. And you've got some speed so little chance of towing the PC. On the whole it's a pretty good scenario as long as you act promptly.

See, I'm not always doom and gloom.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]