scottbre

License Survey

Seems like a hard question to answer, but think of it this way, how many people do you know with only 200 jumps that are better than say your S&TA, or Joe-Blow-Shmoe, who has 1000 jumps?

Then again, there are those B license holders who have over 1000 jumps. I know a few that are excellent flyers. Is it possible for a 1000 jump BPA/USPA guy to funnel a formation and/or fly like shit? You know, you can debate this to death.

"Is it possible for a 1000 jump BPA/USPA guy to funnel a formation and/or fly like shit? You know, you can debate this to death."

Oh absolutely, I've jumped with people with 400 jumps or better that fly like I do LOL... this could turn in to one of those cypress/rsl things, but I won't let that happen. lol
The group of people I was thinking of are those who as soon as they touch the ground for 50th, 100th, or 200th they drop their application for their B, C, or D license in the mail on their way back to the hanger.
"Pammi's Hemp/Skydiving Jewelry"

shark, you are arguing from a skill point of view, I would argue for a higher jump number requirement purely from a safety/experience point of view.
Just because someone has their driver's license doesn't make them an *expert* driver, I think 200 jumps should be noted as *experienced* and 500 or 1 000 jumps should be the benchmark to be considered an *expert* skydiver...
IMHO of course...
Will
"Don't die until you're dead"

Like I said, you can beat this shit out of this topic.
You also make the assumption that D license holders just get 200 jumps, etc. Well, I know a guy who has over 144 hours of freefall time that just got his D license. Do the math.
Give it up! You guys are making too many assumptions. Just like you, I am often amazed at some people who claim to have D licenses. It means different things to different people.

I dunno Skreamer, when I flew with Afghan airways the standard to be expert only ever needed to be one jump. I think it's the same standard for planes as well, if you could take off and steer it, you'll be fine, don't worry about the other details.
Camel Shagger
"Sh*g around the world."

Then again, I've known people with 150 jumps that are better skydivers than many people who have 1000 jumps.
What does a D license mean? Who knows. I know I've jumped into airshows and stadiums, and I don't have a PRO rating. Does not having the PRO rating mean I'm not able to do those things? Nope. It's just a piece of paper that happened to be waived for our team in college...
I only got the D because it was the one I was qualified for when I started jumping in the civilian world.
D-18644 (gosh, I feel old)

shark, you are arguing from a skill point of view, I would argue for a higher jump number requirement purely from a safety/experience point of view.

Okay, I see your point. Again, however, one can assume that this jumper has a lot of jumps over a short period of time. There are also skydivers who have attained their 1000 jumps over 10 years. Does this make him safe and/or current?
Okay, I won't make this into an RSL debate and I'll turn and track.
Peace

For accuracy landings at our DZ, even though we have a big red X we are encouraged to place something (a blanket or a frisbee etc) on the ground before we get in the plane and then aim for that. If you always keep aiming for the same spot it gets more predictable and you aren't learning as much. Just a thought.
Blue Skies,
D

My two cents:
Number of jumps, license letter, ect. are really no indication of the skill level of the skydiver. I haven't applied for any of my licenses yet. I don't see the point. I've been to several DZs and none cared. After reviewing my log book, they could determine I was fine.
I will be taking all my tests at the same time soon; only because there's a beach demo jump I'd like to do in two months and the organizers are requiring a license.
Getting a license will be a nice thing to have. However, I think its silly that some people think a license or number of jumps are valid measurements for capability.
Much love and blue skies,
Carrie http://www.geocities.com/skydivegrl20/

An indication of capacity, agreed, no.
An indication of a baseline of capacity (depending how well the S&TA's enforce the requirements before signing off - and if the S&TA's don't enforce the requirements, what's the point of having them in the first place?), yes.
A slight change in discussion - The CSPA looks like they are moving thier license requirements in the right direction in accomadating the newer disciplines, should the USPA follow suit?
Plus,
A license is a great thing to have if your log book and ProTrack both end up stolen with your car, which in turn is found in a ditch as a burnt out cinder. :( At least you are not at Jump 0 all over again if you go to another DZ (or spend a ton of time trying to guesstimate jumps and get sig's in a new logbook) so you can do something other than AFF Level 1.