IHazySky

Designs ideas for magnetic riser covers.

Since those riser covers likely ALSO cover the reserve risers, if they fail to release properly they could affect reserve deployment and performance.

Therefore, this sounds like a reserve container ALTERATION to me. That brings those pesky FAR sections into play: 14 CFR 65.125 and 14 CFR 65.129(d).

Good Luck!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Hi GLIDE,

reserve container ALTERATION

There is no mfr that I know of that includes the riser covers as a part of their reserve container.

This does not mean someone like VSE that has the 'extra' riser covers as part of the reserve container.

It all comes down to what was submitted to the FAA.

Now, I suppose someone will tell me about some mfr that actually included the riser covers into what they submitted.

:S

JerryBaumchen

Velcro works great, primarily because it tolerates large variations in manufacturing. The disadvantage with Velcro is that it wears out after a few hundred jumps.

Magnets enjoy - almost as - sloppy manufacturing tolerances, with much longer service life. We have not yet heard of magnets wearing out ... er we are too early in the life-cycle of magnets to understand their limitations/wear patterns/malfunction modes, etc..