shoeless_wonder

Cold weather gloves

Two weeks ago I jumped without gloves, and immediately regretted it. When I landed, my hand were really red and cold. So last friday I went and got some under armor baseball gloves. That helped a lot on my next jump. But my hands still got a tiny bit chilled in the air. They wont be of much use come winter time. As the weather continues to get colder, I was wondering what are good winter gloves to wear?
What is the point of life, if you don't live it?
To escape fear, you have to go through it, not around.

I really like the Square One winter gloves. I bought a pair in Eloy at last year's holiday boogie and they kick some serious ass. Wish I'd tried them earlier. They have a mid weight and a heavy weight depending on how damn cold it is.

http://www.square1.com/manufacturers/square1/p1154.asp
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

ChuckMartin

Rubber gloves under the ones you have now will help a lot. .

That is a great idea, I never would have thought to do that, thanks!

NWFlyer

I really like the Square One winter gloves. I bought a pair in Eloy at last year's holiday boogie and they kick some serious ass. Wish I'd tried them earlier. They have a mid weight and a heavy weight depending on how damn cold it is.

Fantastic, I will look into those.. I dont want temperature to be what keeps me away from the sky.
What is the point of life, if you don't live it?
To escape fear, you have to go through it, not around.

I am heading into my first winter in the sport and have had my first few coldish jumps (I'm in IL, so it will get much worse!). I am wearing the SquareOne gloves with glove liners underneath and have been reasonably toasty so far. The liners have a back pocket where you can fit those little heat packets. I've only used the hand warmers once, but it worked really well and doesn't affect grip or dexterity since its on the back of your hand.

I wear a pair of Neumanns.

I love them, they are super comfortable to wear all day on the ground (although I didn't try packing with them), very nice touchy sensation and quite warm (although the top is not super zero porosity, so maybe a rubber liner if you plan on jumping into crazy cold wind might indeed help). The bottom palm is nice "leatherish" cloth that has a nice grip. Absolutely no problem feeling the PC, touching the handles and using my toggles.

Watch out, you want them on the tight side, I bought a pair of small, since I have relatively tiny hands, and I wish I bout the extra-small since they are still a bit large. If you have the chance to try them on first, do it by any mean.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Yes, totally, go through all your procedure on the ground, think like it was your FJC, my rule of thumb also was "if I can't don and undon my gear wearing gloves, there is no way I can jump it", also, after practicing over and over on the ground, my first 2 jumps with gloves were full altitude solos, so that I could make sure I could touch and feel all my handles if I needed too and that I've had extra time to deal with the problem if I felt like the gloves were in my way, before getting at 4k and having bad surprises, mainly because a (much) more experienced jumper pointed to me that he thought those gloves were a little loose on me, so I wanted to take every extra precautions.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Define cold.
In -20C at ground level last winter I used thin fleece gloves under warm winter gloves for skydiving made by a local manufacturer (looks and feels pretty much like winter newmann). You want to hold your hands mostly down before exit, shake them off to get blood to the hands. Also get some slack in the gloves around fingers, also helps.
One common problem is if you carry the canopy after landing like I do (wrap some lines around a thumb), you have to change that habit: you can use canopy fabric to conserve heat if you have to walk some distance (I had to land in the student area).

Best gloves you'll ever buy for skydiving:

Go to your local Hunting/Fishing Store (or maybe a scuba store) and buy yourself a pair of $10-20 neoprene ice fishing gloves. They don't sweat nearly as much as a pair of surgical gloves, they block 100% of the wind and you have full dexterity since they are very form fitting. Your hands NEVER get cold in them as long as you don't wear them all day and get them all sweaty. I use these exclusively for cold weather jumping and everyone who's seen me jumping them asks me where I got them. It's like a little secret of Canadian skydiving that very few people know about. Enjoy!
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Thin and windproof gloves, excellent for Chicago cold:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BJRW2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and face protection:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BL2HA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Anyone can swim, only a few swim well.
Anyone can skydive, everyone can skydive well. Practice!

Chris-Ottawa

Best gloves you'll ever buy for skydiving:

Go to your local Hunting/Fishing Store (or maybe a scuba store) and buy yourself a pair of $10-20 neoprene ice fishing gloves. They don't sweat nearly as much as a pair of surgical gloves, they block 100% of the wind and you have full dexterity since they are very form fitting. Your hands NEVER get cold in them as long as you don't wear them all day and get them all sweaty. I use these exclusively for cold weather jumping and everyone who's seen me jumping them asks me where I got them. It's like a little secret of Canadian skydiving that very few people know about. Enjoy!

True! Winter neoprene scuba gloves! With 'rough' surface (for sure grip, non-slip). They are great!!!