irishrigger

Keep your eyes open during gear checks!

I don't like it when people try to give me a gear check. It's not that I'm opposed to it in theory. It's just that half the time they freak out. Rigs are not all the same. I've done a lot of weird stuff. I tend to play musical canopies. I did a lot of crw. I tested a lot of things. There was no telling what I'd have in my rig from one jump to the next or how big it would be or what kind of deployment system it would have. My javelin has more then 2000 jumps on it and the tuck tabs on the riser covers are pristine. Why? because most of the time I never bothered closing them. All the crw stuff on the risers was just too bulky. I hated it when some newbe would freak out seeing it in the plane and desperately try to close my risers covers as if he thought I was going to die. I remember one time a guy spoted it and started to say some thing about them being open and then I turned around and he noticed that only the top and bottom flaps of my rig were closed I'd left the sides open to give the canopy more room, it was a little over sized, it was perfectly safe. He was like, "Never mind". Another good one. CRW canopy. We put it into a rig with a pull out so we had to swap out the PC. So he's getting on the plane and guess what's showing? The curved pin. It had slid up and was just kind of dangalling there on a little loop of the cord bridle. He was climbing on the plane up the ladder in the prop wash and it was just flopping in the wind right in the next jumpers face. Talk about a freak out. He was on the ladder but he had a hold of the rail. The jumper behind him had him in a bear hug trying to pull him off the plane screaming at the top of his lungs. He's trying to call back to him that it's ok. With every pull the otter is rocking and the ladder is banging against the side...

I could go one with the stories but the point is that I accepted long age that I was just going to have to be responsible for my own shit. Now I just tell people to stay away from my rig. It will only scare them.

Lee
Lee
[email protected]
www.velocitysportswear.com

IMO this is a case of wrong teaching method at the packing course. It's important to teach the packing course by including the 3 aspects making an equipment airworthy. ie 1) structure 2) compatibility 3) function.
Obviously, in this case, the function aspect is not understood by the packer. Simple question,...when the pilot chute is launched, is it able to pull the bridle in order to extract the pin ? Sometimes at the DZ, I am asked to test practically a beginner about gear check. What I do, I take a rig and go alone in a secluded place. There, I change about 5-6 set ups on the gear making it non jumpable but all of them looking almost OK. Then I put the rig on somebody and ask the beginner to do a gear check. Since I have few tricks in my bag, generally 2-3 wrong set ups are discovered. Even some instructors coming to see what is wrong are missing few. Finally, I show them all the wrong things and explain how important it is to fully understand the function of a component.
The how is important but also the why.:)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Arvoitus

I think things like this is the result of people memorizing their packing procedures instead of understanding their gear. If anyone understands how and why their gear is supposed to work they won't pack something like that.

Yes! That is specifically one of my pet peeves! Understand your shit!
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...

crapflinger2000

And please thank the person who saved your bacon profusely. One time in the plane on jump run I noticed a guy who had his RSL attached not to the RSL "little ring" but to the "little ring" of the riser 3-ring system.

Last weekend a jumper 4 rows back of me me had his RSL routed through the main D-ring of his harness. It was a black rig on a black jumpsuit. The guy next to me had eagle eyes in order to spot this. Nobody next to the jumper noticed this. We were 5 minutes away from the opening to door.

crapflinger2000

And please thank the person who saved your bacon profusely. One time in the plane on jump run I noticed a guy who had his RSL attached not to the RSL "little ring" but to the "little ring" of the riser 3-ring system.

Never thanked me.

And in reality I am telling this story not because I felt slighted (I am sure it just slipped the person's mind to thank me and I've known the person for like 20 years so who gives a crap) but just to tell a story about how awesome I am at spotting random gear problems.

Yay for me!

Thanks Mr Crap.

It wasn't me, but just knowing that if I had a misrigged RSL and you were in the area, you would have saved me from possible bad things happening.

Yay for you.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Arvoitus

I think things like this is the result of people memorizing their packing procedures instead of understanding their gear. If anyone understands how and why their gear is supposed to work they won't pack something like that.

Yes! +1
I was that kid jumping out if his tree house with a bed sheet. My dad wouldn't let me use the ladder to try the roof...