narcimund

Air to air radios

Is there such a thing as air to air radio on the market? I'm talking about helmet mounted two-way radios for use after opening.
Has anyone assembled such a thing themselves? There are decent FRS radios that could be mounted to a camera helmet, I suppose.
Anyone got advice about it?
"Flying without feathers is not easy; my wings have no feathers" -- Titus Maccius Plautus, 220 B.C.

They use simple FRS to control the BIG crew formations when there is more then one formation flying side by side. What is the intended purpose of this radio?
If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will....

Simple: I want to communicate with my skydiving partner while under canopy. Maybe I'll say, "Look at that beautiful sunset." Maybe I'll say, "Let's fly circles around each other." Maybe I'll say, "Look out! You're about to run into me." Maybe someday we'll do crew together.
Basically, it's just to open communication. Who knows where it will lead?
"Flying without feathers is not easy; my wings have no feathers" -- Titus Maccius Plautus, 220 B.C.

Air to air radios really don't work well in freefall because of the noise. I know, I've tried. Our local CRW demo team uses Radio Shack radios; they say the air to air range is only about 50 feet. The ones they are using are old/discontinued but RS has a newer equivalent. If you want a reference, I can give you some.
HW

do you mean too loud even inside a full face helmet? freefall seems pretty quiet inside mine. i've thought about installing some sort of communications system to talk in freefall b/c i think it would be pretty neat. if anyone tries it please let us know.

I've been looking at some paragliding setups. I don't have any recommendations yet, but if anyone's interested, do a google search on "helmet radio".

i've thought about installing some sort of communications system to talk in freefall b/c i think it would be pretty neat

I thought that as well when i first started out.
Now I'm not so sure I wanna hear "Nice funnel, dumbass." during a skydive. ;)
"Zero Tolerance: the politically correct term for zero thought, zero common sense."