Keithor

Vector container with a Spectre 190 Main

Im thinking of buying a Vector V2-2 container that comes wtih a Spectre 190 Main.

I was told it is a belly fly rig, but can have a small mod made to make it freefly friendly. Any tips? Is this true? Is it best to use a rigger?

Am I nuts for thinking about this?

I Am 1 jump from my A. I will start 2 ways with some friends soon to work towards my B.

Thanks

Keithor

Im thinking of buying a Vector V2-2 container that comes wtih a Spectre 190 Main.

I was told it is a belly fly rig, but can have a small mod made to make it freefly friendly. Any tips? Is this true? Is it best to use a rigger?

Am I nuts for thinking about this?

I Am 1 jump from my A. I will start 2 ways with some friends soon to work towards my B.

Thanks

You can make it friendlIER, but it would take way too much work, and that work will most likely not be manufacturer approved, and at the end you will have an old container with $300+ of work put into, that is nowhere as safe as modern gear.

Basically, you will be polishing a turd.

Vector2's are great rigs, but they were modern in the 80's and early 90's. Today, they are good for CRW and belly jumps.

Making a V2 truly freefly friendly would cost as much or more than buying something that is already appropriate.

It would be Master Rigger work, because it is considered "Modification."

If you want something that you can freefly safely, find something else.

BUT...

You are just short of your A.
You have a lot to learn.
A V2 in reasonably good shape should be affordable and appropriate for the type of jumping that you should be concentrating on now.

By the time you are in a position to move forward to freeflying, you will be looking for a better rig anyway.

If I were you, I'd have my local rigger look it over. If it fits you, is in reasonably good shape and is reasonably priced, then it may well be a good first rig for you.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Just be sure to be getting advice from people that have no interest in selling that rig, or in selling you something else, and that toughest qualification for you to judge - have a lot of gear knowledge and years in the sport.

As long as the rig is appropriately priced and in good shape, it could be a good deal. You should be confident (by way of getting the opinion from those giving you advice) that if after a few jumps you don't want it, that you can sell it for the same price.

What is the reserve and how old?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Keithor

para fab 911-190 reserve DOM 1992

Spectre 190 Main

Container is June 1993

2008 Vigil AAD

All the straps and fabric looks in really good shape around the container.

An old rigger that has been rigging since dinosaurs roamed the earth would be best for you to use for this consultation (well, they don't have to be that old, but be careful).

The value of the rig is basically in the main and AAD. There is almost no value in the container and reserve - perhaps just a couple hundred total. That doesn't mean it is not airworthy, just that it should be really cheap. So cheap that if you choose to buy another container and reserve to use with your main and AAD that you won't feel that you wasted money if you are not able to sell the container and reserve.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

All the straps and fabric looks in really good shape around the container

This has nothing to do with the stitching on the harness, or if any/all ADs (required mods or repairs) have been done to the rig or reserve.

What you need is a rigger to inspect all the equipment and determine if it is airworthy and compatible. Otherwise you have no idea what you're buying.

What I would suggest is that this rig should be passed on. Find newer, more modern equipment, and if you're concerned about wanting to downsize shortly, just sell the modern gear for the same money you bought it for. You'll be jumping better gear for free (more or less).

Buying older, mostly obsolete, gear will have you jumping crap you might not be able to sell when you're done with it. You'll be spending money to jump crap.

Keithor

para fab 911-190 reserve DOM 1992

Spectre 190 Main

Container is June 1993

2008 Vigil AAD

All the straps and fabric looks in really good shape around the container.

No idea what "para fab 911-190 reserve DOM 1992" is, but my guess is that it's probably an old Para-Flite reserve that's iffy at best.

Otherwise, this rig has a nice main and a nice AAD - so if this is cheap enough, you can always trash the reserve/container and keep the main and AAD for a nicer container.

Just a thought.

Thanks or the advice and insight. Ill talk to the rigger at my DZ, and get his thoughts. Its a small community (like im sure most of the skydiving world is). He may very well know the rigger at the other DZ.

Ill also find out what they say about this rig for me.