teason

Student Reserve canopies, Which is safer?

I'm talking solely about round reserve openings of course.....no sleeves, bags, sliders or reefing system.......

I have about 800 jumps on round mains....P.C's, 28 ft cheapo's, 35 footers, Papillons...

Plus 2 round reserve openings......

One a 26 ft lopo,(subterminal, quite soft), one 24 ft ripstop, (terminal, nutcracker).....that hurt, ( but it was a GOOD sort of hurt, you know)......:P

Packed about 400 round reserves.....all flavours....and about 600 squares.....done quite a few test jumps as well...

I do know a little of what I talk about....

I wasn't talking about packed lineovers......read my post again.......

A square does not have an inherent "lineover on deployment" problem......this lack of inherent problems is the one major factor why squares became popular and took over the market after they sorted out the openings (trim, reefing lines etc......).

The old strato star with slider was the first really reliable square...the days of the round main were numbered right then.....mals became rare....

With round mains you would see a mal most weekends, sometimes several....

Inherent problems......NOT packing problems....humans will always find a way to stuff something up once they get involved......
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

And let me assure you roundies at terminal open fast.....real nutcrackers....a square has a freebag and slider to make the opening comfortable......but still fast....

I am replying to this statement. Rounds do not open faster than ram air parachute just for the fact they are round.
And a free bag has nothing to do with how fast a ram air with open. It is there to stage the opening, not meter it.

.....done quite a few test jumps as well...

I have been involved in testing and development for over 20 years and am pretty sure of what I am saying.
An inherent problem is there whether from packing, deployment method or reefing used. Some are a design flaw and some can be mitigated with minor changes in use.
They are usually referred to as "deployment, handling or descent rate issues"
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Try reading the first 2 lines of my last post.....

I was talking about round RESERVES at terminal velocity.....

Sheesh!!!!!.....

End of discussion from me about it...............

Try reading the first 2 lines of my last post.....

I was talking about round RESERVES at terminal velocity.....

Sheesh!!!!!.....

End of discussion from me about it...............

Sheesh?????
I read the first 2 lines of you last post. Do you still think a free bag has any affect on the opening speed of a ram air canopy?
When you are out of answerers, that usually is the end.

I said words to the effect that a freebag (or any bag) makes the opening comfortable.....

But tell me.....how would a square open if you had no bag at all???.............the word "explosive" comes to mind......

Its something we tried as an experiment once with CRW.........lines freestowed in a pocket on the tail......subterminal openings were quick but messy..........

Not out of answers.....just don't see the point of answering the same questions twice.........

I've considered adding a Tailpocket to my Samauri since I was getting nice openings on my Lightning with one. CRW canopies are different then a normal canopy, they are designed to open faster and to be more stable in flight when partially wrapped. Try it with a canopy designed to be taken to terminal and you might get different results.

I skip rubberbands on my packjobs some times except for the locking stows and I have very acceptible and soft openings still.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I said words to the effect that a freebag (or any bag) makes the opening comfortable.....

But tell me.....how would a square open if you had no bag at all???.............the word "explosive" comes to mind......

Its something we tried as an experiment once with CRW.........lines freestowed in a pocket on the tail......subterminal openings were quick but messy..........

Not out of answers.....just don't see the point of answering the same questions twice.........

I have about 500 jumps on a CrusAir where the canopy was trash packed. It was an early version of PRO pack but without a bag or a tail pocket. (1978-79) The openings were not "explosive". On a ram air canopy opening or more predicated on design and not deployment device/method.

Is this the end yet?

Most experienced jumpers prefer square main and square reserve, and I've also noticed that the more experience a jumper has, the more they tend to downsize, and the more they tend to prefer faster and less reliable designs ie fully elliptical; it would seem to me that a skydiver is willing to trade reliability for comfort in direct proportion to their assesment of thier own ability. Perhaps this topic is an assesment of the ability of the student/instructor team under current conditions at whatever dropzone is in question.