unclecharlie95

Line twist simulator - info request

Hi,

does anyone have photos or specifications for a line twist simulator?

I wish to install one at my local BASE site as we've had some incidents and near misses from jumpers handling line twists & off headings poorly.

I've heard of simulators being a large suspended metal cross , with line set and harness. How large does the cross need to be? How much of the line set is used?

Thank you,
James
BASEstore.it

Might want to ask over at basejumper.com. Haven't seen one like this. My trainer uses a rock climbing swivel to simulate spin for emergency procedures. Since cutting away isn't an option that doesn't help you. I would think to be of much use it would need fairly long lines. Easiest thing would be an full length old line set reused.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Pressurized FJC uses a simulator for line twists. It's shown in the beginning of this video, but doesn't really show the rigging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99SV0uZ94H4

The way I've practiced/experimented with line twists is to do a high pull, and then intentionally spinning myself into line twists (like a blindman). Then I practice steering above the twists, and the best techniques for untwisting.
BASEline - Wingsuit Flight Computer

At 26 sec into the video you can see it's a full line set, fully spread side to side and front and back risers suspended from different place. I suspect that it was suspended at about the line cascades. Angle on the lines seemed a little large when twisted for full length lines. To make it I'd probably have welded (or do it you self) a square frame of square steel stock. Drill and add eyes to suspend lines and suspend frame from the top. Put steering lines on bungees to let someone screw up and pull a steering line while still twisted.:P

I like the bungee exit trainer later in the video.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

councilman24

I like the bungee exit trainer later in the video.

It looks much simpler and less timeconsuming than the one they used a few years ago.
They had a ropesystem suspended in trees. So you first had to climb up the tree to make the jump, then everyone had to pull you back up the lines and up to the tree again to make the second jump.

You don't need absolutely a cross for a suspended harness to simulate line twists. Actually when having a line twist, your body is more or less in a vertical position.

Therefore, a ordinary suspended harness (leaving the jumper in vertical position) and an old matress or several cushions, pillows... can be used for :

1) simulate line twists (the user turns several time on himself when suspended)
2) perform a cut away and reserve handle pull
3) testing the force for pulling the cut away handle with a suspended weight (the jumper) and a scale
4) testing the actual force needed to pull the rip cord (use a scale)
5) testing the pilot chute efficiency
6) testing the abily of a beginner to find the BOC and throw the pilot chute properly.

The material required is quite simple :

a) two machine screws with a ring with nuts plus 6 feet of webbing type 17
b) an old pair of risers (the small type will comply with harness small and large three rings
c) access to the 2"x8" supporting the first floor in the basement
d) masking tape to keep the rig ripcord and handle below the harness shoulder
e) a spare reserve handle plus several turns of masking tape holding the handle to the MLW to simulate the ripcord extraction force

Note : the rig risers are disconnected, folded back and secured under the risers tabs. That way, no need to pop the reserve and the user can also perform those exercices on this own rig which is a lot preferable.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Inductance Per Unit Length The inductance of the signal is valuable to know. Especially when creating a model for the transmission line in a simulation tool. This tool calculates the inductance in nano-henrys per inch

Capacitance Per Unit Length The capacitance of the signal is often need when creating a model for the transmission line in a simulation tool. This tool calculates the capacitance in pico-farads per inch

you may check this for your resources
http://www.eeweb.com/toolbox/twisted-pair
Oil Gas Safety Council values the contribution Safety Professionals make to achieve the vision of accident free and safer workplace.
http://ogsc.org/