billvon

How to open the Skyvan door (was: lazy skydivers)

You know, it's funny. I would probably make that same mistake b/c you NEVER hear anyone making corrections to go left or right in Deland. I think we're spoiled and our pilots are just that good, or something;)/

Just remember:

Spotting is always the skydiver's fault. Always. Even if it's not your fault, it's your fault. Always.

Do I sound like the Turkish Tow-Truck Man?

better leave spotting on rear exit planes to the pilot and the GPS IMO (and my IMO is considering i`m trhe driver too)

A lot of folks dislike the Skyvan door for the big gap that's between the end of teh floor and the beginning of the door.... that`s because a lot of owners have the SPLIT door installed where the forward part is big enough to reach down to the ground and act as a bump stop when loading (in the normal config ... don`t try that with the plastic doors ;))
The PINK Skyvan for example has the normal flip-door where the gap between floor and door is no more than 8-10 inch so you don`t have to lean over a gaping hole when reching for the latch....
our door also has automatic up locks so there`s no fideling to get the locking pins in just push the center of the door all the way up and let the locks slide in.. works very nice and it`s really easy to open
and lock without feckking it up :)

Cheers
MB

>better leave spotting on rear exit planes to the pilot and the GPS IMO

While you can leave the spotting to them, I would remind people that they still have to at least check the spot. GPS cannot see other airplanes beneath you, and is prone to make really, really massive mistakes (my furthest spot - 8 miles away - was due to a GPS problem.) At least one person on the load should take a peek.

>The PINK Skyvan for example has the normal flip-door where the
> gap between floor and door is no more than 8-10 inch . . .

The Perris skyvan has no gap at all - the door reaches all the way to the floor.