skydiverek

Hidden parachute in movies - how is it done???

How is it technically done? E.g., second skydiving scene in "Point Break". I watched it hunderd of times, and you can see that there is something under Keanu Reeves' shirt. How did he get rid of it?

Same question applies to "Drop Zone" (Wesley Snipes dropped w/o parachute at the beggining of the movie and Snipes chasing that chick at night close to the end of the movie).

How are these tricks done safely???

Bart

It's not that big of a secret, is it?
I even know how it's done...

--------------

Yes, it is a big secret...I would guess that you know one or two methods of many in the industry.

-S

My guess is the rig is just camoflaged to look like the shirt and it's cleaned up with angles and touch ups. Ever see the outtakes at the end of Rumble in the Bronx? Jackie Chan broke his foot during the making of the movie and he has this big foam/cloth fake sneaker that he wears over his cast.

I think that most aerial stunt coordinators like to keep that information to themselves.

Are you keeping it to yourself?

I'm sure it has to be different depending on what the stunt man/woman has to be wearing at the time.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I have no idea if this is anywhere near how the pro's do it, but this is how I'd do it: The shirt/jacket/whatever of course needs to be rigged in advance. I'd design something like the Birdman cutaway system. Handles colored the same as the jacket. When the time to deploy comes, just pull the handles and the jacket falls apart and is blown away.

And before anyone goes out and starts to make something like I just described, please go and ask the professionals. ;)

Erno

I think there might be a little more to it than you suspect. Kind of like knowing there is a rabbit in the hat, but not knowing exactly how he gets there.

Err... it doesn't seem that complex - a rig under a 'breakaway shirt'
Am I missing some other voodoo?
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

front mounted belly rig.

Yeah, that was done in 'Delt Force 2' movie (when Chuck Norris is chasing a drug dealer in freefall). There is nothing under dealer's jacket on his back, but you can actually see a front mounted belly rig (big bulk under the jacket and the drug dealer was very skinny) in one short shot.

I watched Point Break again and it looks like there is a seam running down his shirt (on his back). Possibly, that's where the velcro was concealled, used to 'tear' his shirt apart when it was time to deploy. Am I thinking right???

>How is it technically done?

Lotsa ways to do it. I saw one such rig that was simply a squashed regular rig i.e wrapped around the sides of his body, and packed very "flat." There was a lot of velcro and extra closing loops involved; it looked like it was a bitch to pack.