ddsprite

How to launch a raft from an Otter

First. Do NOT ask the pilot for zero G to get you out the door. It's not necessary and can actually risk the group hitting the horizontal tail if done too agressively.

Groups that have launched from my Otter have done just fine pointing it out the door with part of the raft exposed through the doorway. The two get in and the front float guy can really launch it well with good presentation to the relative wind.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Launch it so the bottom of the raft is facing the props. You can't just lay it on the floor and pull it out like you can a CASA or skyvan. The trick is to load the raft on an angle then pull it straight out the same angle.. You need to peel right out the door and have it be on the hill at the right angle already. The video I watch of one that worked they spun it out the door to keep it on the hill at the proper angle with only 2 holders and 2 inners.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

No. Provided that the pilot doesn't try to "help" with a zero G exit. I know of one instance for sure where this happened. The jumpers convinced the pilot that they needed a zero G exit and he was too agressive. I've flown several raft jumps in the Otter myself with no issues.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

Let it go!!! have some one pull high right after the holders let go and track one of them neds to pull after only a second or so then they can follow the raft down and pick an out landing spot at about 1000 feet or so.

Do a seach in the Training fourm for Raft.. I wrote up a long piece this spring that should get most people started on a raft dive.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com