narcimund

You'll be told what to think

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no sinister conspiracy at the top levels of new stations to feed people mindless crap. They do that because mindless crap is what the majority of Americans, voting with their dollars and their eyeballs, want to see. They don't want to hear about their responsibility to help people or how bad off everyone outside their little world may be.

This supports my argument that we (mindless indeed) control the media.

This could fall under the 'huge understatement' category. While driving to work this week I was amazed that most of the news headlines on the car radio were focused on;

1. Back Street Boy will not make it into outer space

and

2. Who will win the title of 'American Idol'.

Current world events (ie: Middle East) got second billing. [:/]

Where are peoples' minds???

In other words, there is no puppet show here unless you call the anchormen and women the puppets and us/GOV the puppet masters.

-------------

I guess that is sort of a dumbed down way of saying what I am saying.

I think that what we hear is filtered through political agenda, whether it be that of the president, the congress, the media, etc.

Politics is not government, and government is not politics...politics is involved in EVERY PART of our lives; It is a self-serving method of acheiving goals and maintaining a social position. The more social one must be, the more political. How does an anchor keep his/her job? By not pissing off the boss - politics. What keeps a boss happy? Ratings - politics. What keeps ratings high? Good interviews, for example. What gets the good interviews with Presidents, Congressmen, etc.? Not pissing them off - politics.

Everything we hear will be filtered by someone's personal agenda...an agenda which is helped along more by who they know and who they blow in Washington, than who they cater to down among the people.

-S

Don't know exactly where you are going with that, if anywhere, but I do agree. I did not mean to imply that I am not subject to the "brainwashing", for lack of a better term.

it was not meant to imply that you or anyone else specifically is "sheep" (not having met you yet i am ill qualified to judge) but i am often amazed at the number of people who think they have freewill even as they fall into the latest fad marketed to them

it was not meant to imply that you or anyone else specifically is "sheep" (not having met you yet i am ill qualified to judge) but i am often amazed at the number of people who think they have freewill even as they fall into the latest fad marketed to them

--------------

Thanks for the clarification...didn't take offense, just wanted to be clear on what I meant to say.

:)

-S

Not everything in the news is warm and fuzzy, to be sure, but I think the major national and local outlets do generally avoid challenging our confidence in our leadership, laws, and foreign policy, which theoretically is a very important function of a free press. So maybe my last post put the emphasis in the wrong place.

But in response to the statement that the government can't control reporters' access to information.... think again, my friend. A large portion of a reporter's success in getting good dirt for a breaking or even thoroughly-researched story depends on their sources within various levels of government and how cooperative those sources want to be. If that weren't true, we wouldn't need reporters, and we wouldn't need more than one news outlet.

Joe