bherrick

Storm vs specter

After initally bumbling a bit with both of these canopies, at the same size! For some reason I was always flaring late as compared with the Sabre 2

A Sabre 2 has the better glide Ratio!

I speaking about when these things are around 1/2 toggels, do you follow?

I couldn't tell the difference betwwen a similar sized spectre and a Storm in glide.
The approach in the storm at full uptoggles is steeper than the Spectre, but not by much, the biggist difference was switching between a similar sized Sabre 2 and a spectre, then you can really see the diff between 9 / 7.

Someone on another post / thread indicated they were going to tell us about glide ratios and how to tell this sort of thing in the real world but i haven't heard back as of yet? anyone hear about John sherman and the PIA supposidlym about this topic?

Demo them both, I hear PD has a great schedule this year, but if you want to to make shure their traveling with both call ahead or visit DeLand!

Why do you ask?

My Spectre does great If I want to hang around and let everyone else catch up or land first and with a lot of practice I can hang all the way to the ground at half and still manage to pull off a walk away flare with whats left?

I was very pleased with the storm in the air, but faster turns don't appeal all that much to me,...I would have kept the storm if the price was right though,...that's about the only reason I chose between these 2.

Why didn't I pick a Sabre 2? Because I find myself landing off by design and I have more control over the distance with these 2 as compared with the Sabre 2.

It is also very tough asking this question because not a lot of people are bouncing between multiple canopies! ReRead the PD notes on how they fly and pay attention to every word.

C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Someone on another post / thread indicated they were going to tell us about glide ratios and how to tell this sort of thing in the real world but i haven't heard back as of yet? anyone hear about John sherman and the PIA supposidlym about this topic?

This one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0faDY9a2nEQ
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

PD compares the two in several areas in the "Storm Flight Characteristics" document.

http://performancedesigns.com/docs/StormCFStormFAQFlightCharacteristics.PDF
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I had two PD Spectras and really like them both. The openings were pretty predictable, but not a lot of glide though. I switched to a Storm and it felt like the glide increased. I did get better penetration too. The Storm was like a Spectra on steroids. Much less toggle input required.
Dano

bherrick

Just wondering if the storm or the specter has a better glide ratio? Thanks

The storm has a better glide than the Spectre, and neither one of them are about the glide. The Spectre is a great canopy known for soft openings and easy to sink in.
The Storm is a bit more playful, aggressive, and also easy to sink in, but definitely is not a canopy for newer jumpers.
I have both in a couple of sizes, and jump the Storm 50:1 compared to the Spectre.