dterrick

Best FUBAR'd load stories?

Do tell... how bad has a load gone without a serious injury? You know the kind of load I mean - the one where right from manifest you KNEW the plane would break or someone would have a mal or a cypres fire. Mindcake posted a first cutaway thread over in s&t that sounds pretty good...

first load, one dead engine, bad spot, jump lights not working, mal :S

Dave

...geez at 'my' DZ there are no jump lights and if one engine is dead, well, we're a glider

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Had one load where a first jump student (static line) deployed on the step. Watched the pc go over the starboard horizontal stabilizer. The left side lines of the main contacted the stabilizer and tore of the tip crumpling it halfway up. Both student and plane landed without futher incident. Just a few weeks later, I watched another pc deploy as the student was hanging. This time it missed the plane (scared me though). I thought "Well that's the bad thing for this load." and put out my next student. Got out, opened and had a line over. Spent the whole rest of the afternoon looking for my main.

One where a 100-jump wonder was spotting the plane and gave the pilot 90 degrees of right and then flew for a few minutes. My first clue was that the pilot turned around and asked "where are we going?" My second clue was that no one else got out of the plane after us. Opening and not even seeing the DZ in the distance was my final clue that we might be getting a bad spot.

work, yeah, me too. erin is apparently pretty broke lately. the last time she came out was a couple of weeks ago and i bought her a jump. i talked to her a couple of days ago and she was going to "try" to make it out this weekend. i hope the otter isn't broken again.

One where a 100-jump wonder was spotting ***

..I resemble that remark....

mine was jump # 74, first load on Canada Day 2002.

I've just come off a 3 day skills camp to get my RW endorsement for my A CoP; the weather has been into the 100's with high humidity for 5 days now. To boot it was a sports car racing weekend so I had two sets of Beerfests to attend. NOBODY was at their swiftest for that first load of the holiday Monday (July 1). My first RW as an A pending was the jump form our C-182 - which was not that impressed with the high heat and high humidity (can you say stall?)

Our intrepid ex-RAF pilot Duncan pulls a hard banked turn over the target and shouts DOOR!! when he realize he's shorted the loop. Garth exits poised but this is my first go at entering crotch from the JM seat. As Garth is waiting hopelessly on the wing or me to exit, the plane starts to buffet and I get pissed. WTF is Dunc doing to me on my first legit RW? I thin kto myself... I didn't hearthe stall buzzer:S.

We launch (eventually) and complete a decent 2 way but Garth signals breakoff at 4k and I turn and track (still kinda deltaing my tracks). Then and there I realize I'm 3 MILES from DZ at 2k and am not going to make it back. there's no sign of the second 2 way (we did this in 1 pass!)

I had neglected to look at the windsock as the winds were light and I "trusted" Garth to spot well. I left a 75 foot streak in the alfalfa field as I landed, downwind, in a knoll between 2 stands of trees (so much for go for the middle of the field theory:P)

I thought I was the only one to blow it. As it turns out, Garth pulled at 4k and ALMOST made it back. I was a solid mile and a half from DZ (they found me para-hiking the mile road) but the second pair were a mile further out yet!!

We have an award at yearend called the "Helen Keller Spotting Award". With but 3 weekends to go Garth (and the pilot) still hold honors on this dubious honour;).

No injuries but to the Pride.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

jump #38 Labor Day 2000.

Chris wagner was organizing so we had 20. 5 min call on the otter when the pilot calls a rain delay. Everything off and we wait. People come and go so we are at 18. Load up the otter for a sucker hole when an engine problem grounds us. OK....no problem we move to the queen air. Oops, because of the load size we have to split it up. I get on the first load. Cool we think as we load up and try again but when the pilot fires the engines they have forgotten to take something out of the engine that was there to keep the rain out so now we have a emchanical problem.

The afternoon meanders on and we are going for it again. Chris runs us through a dirt dive and since I am a 27 jump disaster they basically hang on to me the entire jump. We pull of a wonderful dive and all is well at breakoff. I turn, track, and throw out only to have my risers spin up to pin my head down. I can only see side to side and my neck is killing me at this point. I start kicking as I had good altitude and could see all 4 corners. Finally I spin out of that to look up and have a perfect bow tie line over. OMG...away she goes and out comes my reserve that I had just had repacked the Friday before (this is Mon). I did manage to land in the landing area and found everything except my silver handle.

After that I simply couldn't return the complete rig to the girl who had let me demo it so I bought it!

Lisa

C

--
Hot Mama
At least you know where you stand even if it is in a pile of shit.