seedy

What a day!

A little long, but this is how I wrote it down,

Today was the day - my first time leaving the plane with my own parachute. Day dawned clear and bright. No wind on the ground. Got to the DZ and JM pulled out my student rig and pulled the ripcord. Guess they had used it for packing practice and she said it wasn’t what I’d want to jump. So, packed my second time (last time I packed the winds were up around 20 mph and I didn’t get to jump) with supervision. Had to ask a couple of questions, but went pretty smooth. Went over the dive plan and then it was time to gear up. I had a lot of trepidation about the jump – not so much the freefall or canopy ride, but the thought of landing my own canopy the first time bothered me a little.First group of the day came back in the hangar and advised us that the winds were really honking upstairs. We still had very little wind on the ground.

Boarded the C182, and I got the seat with my back to the panel – right by the door. We had a tandem going out after the JM and I left. When we got to altitude, JM opened the door and gave me the signal to climb out. I basically rolled out of the door onto the step from a sitting position and grabbed the strut. Checked in, went thru count and then arched off the step. Holy Crap! Flip, spin, dip. Could not get stable. Finally got stable, got the thumbs up and looked at altimeter. Did three PRCPs and each time almost went unstable. Just ready to check altimeter and - WHAM – canopy overhead. When I had looked at altimeter, I forgot to READ it. JM pulled my ripcord. Had a couple of line twists which I kicked out and then noticed and end cell closed. Took care of that and then played with canopy. Performed a proper approach pattern and then set up on final. JM had landed off and couldn’t see me so was on my own. Flared a little high but did a perfect PLF. WOOHOO! What a rush.

When we debriefed, JM said my legs were on my butt and caused the instability problems. Repacked chute and then back on the plane a couple of hours later. This time, everything went perfect. Pulled at altitude, stowed ripcord and then unstowed brakes. Still no wind on ground, flared a mite high and perfect PLF again.

I feel a lot more like a skydiver now than when I started the day, even though I know I have a long way to go.

Only downside is I have to wait two weeks to jump again.

Oh yeah, I've landed twice now. Am I ready for a 100-square foot canopy?:P

I intend to live forever -- so far, so good.

I don't know how old is too old, but just keep dreaming and someday make that dream come true. And when you do, don't worry about the landing. It is suprising how much of the training just took over when it came time to act.

;)Thanks;), I needed that.....

It will happen, in the meantime, I manage to get in the air via an occasional tandem. I'm beginning to worry less about the landing part:S.

J

TTK#5

--------------------------------------
Sometimes we're just being Humans.....But we're always Human Beings.

Oh yeah, I've landed twice now. Am I ready for a 100-square foot canopy?

Why would you want something so big? Go for a 79.;) Seriously now, congrats on your jumps and good luck when you jump again in 2 weeks.:)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

VERY COOL!
Happy for ya, Seedy. I'm in AFP (1 JM)...I tried to get in level 6 Sat, but got clouded out & winds too high. Like you, I can only jump again in 2 wks, But I'm still needing radio help to land. Must be awesome to be moving forward in your experience and skills...
Michigan weather is starting to be troublesome! I'm currently training at Skydive Hastings. Where are you training at?

Michigan weather is starting to be troublesome! I'm currently training at Skydive Hastings. Where are you training at?

I am training at Skydive Kansas, so have to keep an eye out for the weather too. We are starting to see some big changes here. Temperature yesterday was okay - about 55F. Our worst months will be January and February, so maybe I can continue to progress a little. I am going to try to do at least two jumps each time so I can put the feedback from the fist jump into immediate practice.

All I can say is have patience and stick with it. I thought I'd never get my A but I did. Thought I'd never be able to afford gear, too. But I did. Congrats on the jump, my friend!
Good enough is good enough and

Thanks. I have now started my Christmas wish list since I know for sure I am sticking with this sport. Hey Santa - I want an altimeter and a.....:D

Hahaha you had your jump master as your AAD.

Yep, and I was happy she was there. I would rather pass and move forward, but I'm old enough to know that if I don't do it correctly I'll gladly repeat until I do.